Thursday, April 24, 2008

Can I go out and play yet??




I can't say life's very exciting at the moment. I'm slowly gaining strength back and adding a little more to each day. Yesterday I drove for the first time since my surgery a little over two weeks ago. I bought a pretty kalenchoe plant and birthday card for a very special aunt of ours and went over to her house to drop it off. Visited for a little while and came home, then spent most of the afternoon resting on the couch. It amazes me how little can wipe me out. I went and saw the doctor on Monday and everything came back clear. I see her again in a month and then hopefully I'm done with this chapter in my life.



I've been doing a lot of reading. I finished Maeve Binchy's "Whitethorn Woods" and enjoyed it so much! I've read every book the woman has ever written...and she's written quite a few of them...and never read a bad one. Why can't other writers follow her example and leave out the profanity and graphic sex? Her American counterpart, in my opinion, is Anne Tyler. Another very talented writer. Both of them write amazingly good books with wonderful story lines and great characters...people you feel you know in real life. Their ear for dialogue, their ability to describe the quirkiness of their characters, their ability to tell you enough but not too much so you can fill in the gaps with your own imagination...now that is great writing! I was really looking forward to reading Jodi Picoult's "Change of Heart" but I started it yesterday and could not get in to it at all. Very disappointing to me, as usually I really enjoy her books. So I picked up the copy of "Leeway Cottage" by Beth Gutcheon that I bought recently at a Goodwill and started that one instead. So far it's keeping my attention and I think I'm going to enjoy it.

The medical bills are beginning to show up in the mail box. I'm not too concerned...we were told our out-of-pocket responsibility to the hospital would be $1,000 which is bad enough but not like being responsible for the entire thing, thank goodness. How on earth do people face a medical catastrophe or debilitating illness with no insurance? Our neighbors told me they'll probably have to file medical bankruptcy for the costs that have accumulated over the past several months. The husband had an abdominal hernia that had strangulated his small intestine and all the complications and peritonitis that developed from it almost killed him. He was in the hospital for a month and a half, in a coma for three weeks, undergone several surgeries, went to rehab for a couple of months, and still faces another surgery in June. His wife told me his bills total up to over $400,000 so far and, even with the good medical insurance they have, they're still liable for about $40,000 of it.

I've got a big pot of homemade chili simmering on the stove. After a couple weeks of Hungry Man dinners and Stouffer's meals, Dear Hubby is back to eating 'real' food again. He's lost 5 pounds...I don't want him shrinking away on me! And he's so lean and in good shape as it is that he can't afford to lose much weight. I haven't weighed myself recently but the last time I did I'd lost 17 pounds. My clothes are becoming increasingly baggy on me. But I can afford to lose 17 pounds, ha! One of my nurses at the hospital had told me it can take a while after being under general anesthesia to get my appetite back. Boy, was she right. Between that and not being able to taste on top of it, food is right at the bottom of my priority list.

I was reading a blog this morning and one of the topics covered in today's entry was about disappearing forks in her family's household. Mine, too! And I left her a comment and told her to go to a Dollar Tree store and buy some there...4 for a $1! What a bargain! Especially if you're like me and you don't care about what anyone thinks, anyway. I can't even remember the last time we've had anyone over for dinner at our house so impressing friends ranks even further down my list than food does.

I'm getting stiff. Time to take Chloe dog for a walk, I'm thinkin', tho when I look outside I'm not too inspired. It's gray and cold but at least it isn't raining so I guess we'll take our chances. See if we can't make it a couple more blocks today than we did yesterday. Recuperating stinks.




8 comments:

Alaine (or Lanie) said...

I've heard that "Change of Heart" isn't one of Jodi's best books. I still want to read it though. Right now I'm working on some Patricia Cornwell books (the Kay Scarpetta ones). Then I'll read "Beloved" because I got it for 25cents the other day :)

You lose forks? We run low on spoons all the time...even when it appears all of our dishes are clean and put away we don't have what I know we should. I'll have to check out dollar tree...or maybe I can send you some forks and you can send me some spoons!

It's good to have you back! I'm glad you're doing better and I'm sure you'll get your energy back soon :) Take it easy and you'll be back to your old self in NO time (or your NEW self).

Anonymous said...

Ever read Karen Kingsbury books? My favorite Christian author!
I'd like to come to your house for tea - you wouldn't have to put on any airs for me!!! My mismatched dishes and silverware are serviceable and I'm pretty laid back about housecleaning.
Greta

TravelinOma said...

I have disappearing spoons, too. I wonder if they're being swallowed by the dishwasher!

Loretta said...

It's so good to hear you're up and around. Before you know it you'll be walking miles with the Grandsons.

Anonymous said...

WOW..driving even!! SOUNDS like you are doing great!! And so happy to hear that the reports are coming in good too!

My mom had many huge medical bills the last 5 years of her life. A good portion of them were written off by the hospital. Ask if they have something like the Hind Burton funds...maybe under another name. But when you owe so much as your friend does, it would help. At my mom's hospital, you had to go a certain day in July each year. It was first come, first served. So you went VERY early and waited in line. Then they asked you what you owed and then just cleared the books. They collect extra from those who have insurance is one way they get the funds. Hope this helps...I will ask my dad some more and try to email you the information. Believe me, people who know how to use the system, really know about this one!!
Elizabeth

Jane Doh ! said...

Hi Kris....sorry I haven't been around for ever, been taking a break from everything just about, haven't even touched the camera so no new photo's.

I'm glad to read that you are gaining your strength back, I can only imagine what the operation took from you and that it is far more than what I have ever experienced. (((((hug)))))

As for the forks...same problem here and we replaced them with a bunch from Walmart...like 5 for a dollar I think. we replaced them all actually and put away the good stuff because it is pointless even trying with 5 kids...lol.

I will catch up again soon and in the meantime, I will be thinking of you and praying you'll be 100% Kris by the time I come back : )

Mrs. Darling said...

This rain just never seems to end! I sure could use a cuppa chili!!

HORIZON said...

You're starting to sound much better Kris.
The cutlery crisis is a constant here too- where do they go? Worse than socks!
I made spagetti here tonight but your chilli sounds better.
Your aunt would have enjoyed the visit and there you go again- thinking of others first. Wish we were closer because l'd lot to take you out for a short drive and high tea.
hugs and bests