Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The long and winding road...to recovery



I just came in from taking Chloe dog for a walk in a very light, misty rain. Got a load of laundry going and made the bed, then poured myself a cup of coffee and the two of us are sitting here by the big front windows. I am feeling low today...I don't know why. Well, I do know why, actually. I went to some Hysterectomy Support message boards, just to see what they're all about. I wish I hadn't. There are women still bleeding several months after their surgeries. There was one woman whose entire vagina fused together due to ahesions. There was one woman who now has rampant acne. I went in search of positive results and came away freaked out and wondering if I'd made the right decision for myself. Maybe it's just the women who have horror stories to share who come to these boards looking for support. All I want to know is if the symptoms I'm experiencing are normal or not.


I took a mirror yesterday and looked at my incision scars. I'd only looked at them once before, when I first got home from the hospital. They're completely healed now and are about an inch long, if that. I marvel at the fact that anything inside could've been removed thru them! I went thru the itching stage a couple of weeks ago but that seems to have passed. I really don't 'feel' them at all now. It's the internal stitch area that bothers me. It 'pulls' if I move in certain ways. I told Dear Hubby it's like fingernails going across a chalk board...it bugs me to no end and yet there isn't anything I can do about it except squirm around until I'm comfortable. I guess it's normal? We've made plans to go away for a long weekend around the 15th of May and I'm wondering if I'll be able to handle sitting in our truck for the 3 hour drive without going crazy. I'm hoping by that time the 'pull' sensation, the discomfort of sitting upright for very long, will ease up by then.


I guess I should focus on the positives. Three weeks after surgery, I am now walking Chloe dog at least a couple of miles every day. I've lost the foggy, sloggy-brained vapory feeling in my head from the anesthesia and am venturing a little further in my driving now. I'm capable of taking care of the house, tho at a slow pace. Sleeping is much more comfortable now and I've been averaging close to twleve hours every nite. Every day I feel stronger. Every day I have a little more stamina and don't tire out as quickly. Every day there is improvement, improvement I can see and feel. I guess it doesn't always pay to look for information. Maybe, in some instances, ignorance is bliss especially if I'm not having any problems that I know of. I just never dreamt at the age of 54 recovery would come so slowly. I am not a patient person.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Surely your age may account for some of what you are going through. I had mine at 35, but I still was not doing anything close to all you are...of course, I had a belly cut and an exploratory too at the same time. There will be lots of days when you simply do not feel like doing a thing...but just relax and rest on those days. I would wonder if that May 15 trip is a bit soon...did you talk to the doc about that? If you could lay down in the back seat or have a reclining front seat, perhaps it would be ok...but if you overdo now, during the recovery period, it may not be worth it in the long run.
Elizabeth

Liz said...

The people I've known who've had hysterectomies have varied. Some have taken a very long time; others not so. So that's helpful of me!

It's sounds as if you're doing too much to me.

By the way, will you please email your snail mail address so I can send a little gift to Cooper?

Anonymous said...

I am 58 years old and I had my hysterectomy 12 weeks ago. You are a lot farther along than I was at 3 weeks. You are doing great. Don't rush things and take it easy. I thought I would never get "me" back. Day before yesterday was the turnaround point for me. All of our bodies have different time clocks. You are going to be fine.
Md

anji said...

My mom took a while to heal and had only complications because of a bladder lift they did at the same time (that's thanks to having four kids!)....

I'd say it took her about 6 weeks before she started feeling herself again... baby steps, take each day as it is... some are better than others.

you can probably go on your trip, just see if you can take a few short breaks here and there to get out and stretch, even if just for a couple of minutes...

Jan B said...

Boy I can appreciate that tugging feeling. I feel it too and when I overdo, it's a stab. be careful. If you do too much you can get adhesions and they are awful, from what I hear. Just give yourself time to recover.