Saturday, May 24, 2008

Cedar Waxwings, Medical Miracles, and a Meme

I love Cedar Waxwings and nite before last, when I took Chloe dog out in the front yard for her before-bed-potty, I looked up into the upper branches of the huge European Elm tree across the street and what did I see but around 100 of them! They would take off and fly behind our house, get a bunch of holly berries off our tree back there, then fly back to the Elm. We don't see them often here, several miles away from the Columbia River or any of the other wetlands along the Willamette. Their colors are exquisite and the thing I love about them is they're all-for-one, one-for-all kinds of thinkers....they perch along the branches of our holly tree and one will pluck a berry, pass it on to the next one in line, who passes it on to the next one. They really look out for each other, a lesson I think we humans could learn better.

I got a statement in the mail concerning my surgery yesterday. It came from our health insurance provider and it informed me that we owe NOTHING for my almost-$13,000 operation! Needless to say, that made my day!

And now for the perfectly silly meme that was over at Mean Mom's blog. I have nothing much to say today...just enjoying watching my neighbors slaving away clearing up their yard outside the window with Chloe dog perched here next to my shoulder.

1. Do you like blue cheese? Nooooooooooooooooooo!

2. Have you ever smoked heroin? Heroin...no. Pot a few times in my distant, wild past.

3. Do you own a gun? None of your business!

4. What flavor do you add to your drink? I add Irish Creme creamer to my coffee.

5. Are you nervous before a doctor's appointment? Well, before my surgery my blood pressure would skyrocket up into the 180s so I'd say that is a definite yes. But since my surgery it's dropped down into the 120s again. Go figure!

6. What do you think of hot dogs? Not much. They give me horrible indigestion.

7. Favorite Christmas movie? Most definitely "Christmas Story." Watching Ralphie and his little brother and friends takes me back to my childhood, tho mine was more circa late-1950s/early 60s.

8. What do you prefer to drink in the morning? Coffee, and plenty of it!

9. Can you do push ups? I haven't tried doing one in a long time, but I think I still could. I can still bend over at the waist and touch the palms of my hands flat to the floor...does that count?!

10. Are you thinking about someone else, right now? Mean Mom, because I'd copied and pasted this and her answers are being deleted from it as I write.

11. What's your favourite piece of jewelry? I don't wear jewelry, but I have a beautiful very old diamond ring that belonged to one of my great-grandmothers and is kept in a safe deposit box at the bank.

12. Favorite hobbies? Writing, reading, gardening, spending time with family, walking, listening to music.

13. Phrase you use most often? "Oh, for pity sake!" or "You dirty bird!" Depends on my mood.

14. Do you have A.D.D? No...just menopausal brain farts.

15. What's one trait you hate about yourself? Impatience. I don't like waiting for ANYTHING!!

16. Middle name? Plain, boring "Ann"

17. Name 3 thoughts at this exact moment: I wonder if Chloe dog needs to potty; The turkey should be ready to come out of the oven soon; Dear Hubby's doing a fine job of cleaning his den!

18. Name 4 things you bought yesterday. Doggie treats, subway sandwiches, Tostitos, and Salsa.

19. Next vacation? At the price gas is right now, who knows?

20. Current worry? I hope to be able to care for both of my grandsons starting June 2nd. I think I'm pretty well healed from my surgery but...??

21. Current hate right now? Hate is such a strong word. Politics, I guess.

22. Favorite place to be? Sitting in a rocker on the back porch reading.

23. How did you bring in the New Year? Sound asleep in my bed. I'm really quite boring.

24. What'd you get for your birthday? Lots of cards, phone calls, and flowers. At least, I think I got flowers.

25. Name 3 people who will complete this. No one, but that's ok. I just enjoy doing them when I'm bored.

26. Do you own slippers? No. I go barefoot most of the time or wear a pair of my Dear Hubb's heavy wool hunting socks in the dead of winter.

27. What shirt are you wearing? A multi-striped turtleneck of blues, black, and white stripes.

28. Do you like sleeping on satin sheets? Never have and never will. I don't like slippery stuff like that.

29. Can you whistle? Yes I can, and quite loudly, too!

30. Favourite colors? To wear: black, blues, aqua.

31. Would you be a pirate? No. Doesn't appeal to me in the least and I get HORRIBLY seasick!

32. What songs do you sing in the shower? I don't sing in the shower. I hop in, get clean, and hop right back out again.

33. Favorite girl's name? Kaitlin, which is what we named our daughter. I saw it in a magazine when I was 12 and fell in love with it. Luckily, Dear Hubby liked it too.

34. Favourite boy's name? Quinn.

35. What's in your pocket right now? A couple of baggies in case Chloe dog "does her duty" when I take her out for a walk.

36. Last thing that made you laugh? Dear Hubby...he's the funniest man I know!

37. Best bed sheets as a child? Ones that had come in fresh off the clothes lines and smelled of fresh air and sunshine!

38. Worst injury you've ever had? Does my hysterectomy count?

39. Do you love where you live? Absolutely. We've lived in this neighborhood almost 26 years and I have no desire to move away.

40. How many tvs do you have in your house? 3

41. Who is the loudest friend you have? I love my best friend Lizzee's giggles!

42. How many dogs do you have? Little Miss Chloe dog is our one and only. She would NEVER allow another one to live here!

43. Does someone have a crush on you? Chloe dog is absolutely enthralled with me. Wherever I am here at home, she's my little shadow.

44. What is your favorite book? "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" by Betty Smith. I've probably read it at least 10 times in my life so far.

45. What is your favorite candy? I used to binge on MnM's but I don't eat candy any more.

46. Favorite Sports Team? He's not a team but my favorite sports figure is Tiger Woods.

47. What song do you want played at your funeral? I have two: "I'll Fly Away" and "Victory in Jesus".

48. What were you doing at 12am last night? I told you I'm boring...sleeping!!

49. What was the first thing you thought of when you woke up? "It's Saturday!"

3 comments:

PJ said...

Thanks for dropping by. Nice to meet another 251 year old!!! :) And the shot of the Cedar Waxwings is wonderful!!

Anonymous said...

So interesting about the cedarwaxwings...never heard that before!! Thanks for sharing.
Elizabeth

Alaine (or Lanie) said...

I'm starting to feel as if I need to move to get some good birds.
You always have the best Meme's...I love to read your answers :)
I hope you had a nice holiday weekend. It was beautiful and summer-like here but now today it's cool again.