Saturday, June 28, 2008

My Motto





I found this great old Pete Seger song over at a fellow Oregonian's blog called Astoria Rust. I told Dear Hubby this is my new motto:


MY GET UP AND GO HAS GOT UP AND WENT
by Pete Seger


Chorus


How do I know my youth is all spent?
My get up and go has got up and went
In spite of it all, I'm able to grin
When I think of the places my get up has been


Old age is golden, I think I've heard said
But sometimes I wonder as I crawl into bed
My ears in a drawer, my teeth in a cup
My eyes on the table until I wake up


As sleep dims my vision, I say to myself
Is there anything else I should lay on the shelf?
But nations are warring and business is vexed
So I'll stick around to see what happens next


chorus.


When I was younger, my slippers were red
I could kick up my heels right over my head
When I was older my slippers were blue
But still I could dance the whole night thru


Now I am old, my slippers are black
I huff to the store and I puff my way back
But never you laugh, I don't mind at all
I'd rather be huffing than not puff at all


chorus


I get up each morning and dust off my wits
Open the paper and read the obits
If I'm not there, I know I'm not dead
So I eat a good breakfast and go back to bed


You know you're getting old when you have to wait for your 27-year-old daughter-in-law to arrive at the house before you give your teething grandson some Tylenol. I could NOT for the life of me read the tiny print on the bottle and I wasn't about to give him a dose of medicine without knowing for sure if it was age-appropriate. Dear Hubby and I have a magnifying glass to help us with small print...but do you think I could find it?! Maybe it's up there on my closet shelf where I discovered my new capri pants the other day. The capri pants I remembered buying but couldn't remember where I'd put them.


Oy.

2 comments:

Mean Mom said...

That's a great song, but I'm sad to say that I've never been able to kick my heels up over my head!

Agree totally about small print. Someone make it bigger, pleeease!!

Liz said...

But forgetting where you put things means you get nice surprises when you find them!

Small print, bah! You'd think manufacturers of anti-wrinkle cream, for example, would realise that they're addressing an older shopper and size the print accordingly.