Wednesday, July 30, 2008

MEN!!



Men just don't think with the same brain cells we women do. Today I "called in sick" to my kids' house at 4:15 this morning, then crawled back in to bed with a queasy stomach and headache I thought I was going to die from. Obviously, I didn't. But I slept in until 12:30 this afternoon. I can't remember the last time I slept that late. Still headachey and still queasy, I sat on the couch for a while with little Miss Chloe dog, knowing she'd need to get out to go potty before she exploded all over the carpet. I went in to the bathroom to put my robe on and it's a good thing I glanced into the mirror over the sink. I looked like a wild woman with my hair sticking out in every direction. Not an out-the-front-door potty trip that time! Shower first, then a slow walk around the block. And, while I was out for maybe 10 minutes tops, who calls but Dear Hubby. The phone call went something like this: "Babe? Hello? Is anyone there? If you are, please pick up! My cell phone is dead and I need to get a message off. Are you there?" Click. So I stood there listening to the message and imagining every kind of traveling mishap that could happen. I know he's somewhere between that little town in Wyoming and Baker City, Oregon, but WHERE???? That is, if he was ok. If he hadn't been robbed or truck-jacked or tossed in jail for some insane reason. I thought he'd at least call back within a few minutes. But no...the phone stayed quiet. I emailed my daughter at work and we tried tracing his call...it was a pay phone but not listed as far as where it was located, just the phone service itself which originiated in Dallas, Texas. No help there. So Kaitlin did a Google...I did a trace. And then around 3 pm I came up with the brilliant idea of checking our bank account. He's been charging all of his hotel stops on our account. And, sure enough....it'd just been posted, but he'd checked in to the motel he'll be spending tonite in. I just talked to him a little while ago and I kind of...kind of?!...chastised him for not leaving at least a little more information but he said, "Well, I only had so many quarters and I still needed to talk to the office." I mean, that did make sense, but so would've a "I'm ok, don't worry." He left two very freaked-out women here at home trying to figure out whether he was dead or alive or somewhere in between.

Men!

So...I've changed my blog once again. The other was too Plain Jane for me and the text and the sidebar stuff seemed too close together. Plus, I like the "Harbor" look. It seems 'cleaner' to me for some reason. I dunno. Maybe it's my fevered brain. I think my bladder infection has come back and that's why I've been feeling crummy all day. It's hard to say, tho, because everything in that general area inside is still pretty tender, so I dunno if the discomfort is from an infection or from adhesions. **SIGH** The kids have a baby sitter lined up for tomorrow so I think I'll get up early and make an appointment with my doctor this time instead of going in to Urgent Care. Not that my doctor knows me any better than the Urgent Care physician did. Outside of all of my female problems these past couple of years, I've been in very good health and have only been to my doctor two or three times in the past 5 years or so. Now, my OB/GYN doctor -- she probably know me better than I do!

I've been stripping all the vinyl off our pressboard cabinets in the kitchen. Someday I'd like to replace them, period, but until we can afford a major overhaul like that, we're going to primer them, then paint them and put new knobs and hardware on them. Anything would be better than that horrible vinyl "wood grain". Yuck. The people who owned this house before us used it as rental property and, from what I understand, "remodeled" it as cheaply as possible when it came in to their possession. The linoleum floor in the kitchen was the first to go. We replaced that with ceramic tiles a few years ago. And the electrical 'updating' their 'electrician' son did? Well, an outlet blew out a year ago and burned up my old computer, if that gives you any idea. We have two outlets in the living room that need replacement, too, and Dear Hubby, who isn't an electrician but who grew up with a father who was one, probably knows more about electric wiring than the other guy does. Sheeeeeesh.

I just finished reading "So Long at the Fair" by Christina Schwarz. Pretty good. Kind of a funky ending. Too much of the "F" word. Don't authors realize a book would be just as good, if not better, without profanity? There are a lot of us out here who don't like it. Now I'll be starting "Olive Kitteridge" by Elizabeth Strout. I've read her other books and enjoyed them, so I'm hoping I'll like this one, too. I've got "Drowning Ruth" by Ms. Schwarz on hold at the library, and I'll be picking up a copy of her "All is Vanity" tomorrow. I do believe in giving a writer another chance, even if I don't like some of the language. If the "F" word would've been there in every other sentence, I wouldn't have finished it. It was used randomly, but not randomly enough as far as I was concerned. Am I too harsh? Does anyone else feel the same way who comes here? I've yet to read the Garrison Keillor book I have on my Library Shelf there...some are books to read, some of them have been read. Some will be read again. I tend to read the library copies first and just put off the ones I've bought in thrift stores for those "Desperation Days" of nothing to read. Whenever I find the time to read. Which isn't often. But that's ok. I know someday I'll have more hours on my hands than I'll know what to do with. Then is when I'll really read.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Know what you mean - our female minds dart into all kinds of corners worrying about our man - right down to planning his funeral! And it's not even a bleep on their radar screen!

Like the new look of your blog.

Greta

Lynda said...

I like the new look and hope you are feeling better.

Judy said...

The new look is great!

Mrs. Parks said...

I need a good book to read.
I REALLY like the new look of things around here, very fresh and light, it almost smells good.
MEN! What a hair ripping subject, to deep to address without all but posting my own blog entry in your comment section.
I will refrain.
I hope your feeling better :)

TravelinOma said...

I like your new blog design.

My daughter and I were just talking about how men and women worry differently. Dee has been known to say, "You don't have to ever worry about me." Yeah, right!

Suburbia said...

Hope you are starting to feel better by now.
I can't believe your husband!! What a shock to get a message like that.