Monday, September 1, 2008

Random Ramblings

I was going to write about my walk to the top of Mount Tabor with Dear Hubby today...a landmark for me in my pathway back to wellness. I have not been able to walk to the top of it since...oh...the winter of 2005, maybe? It was before the death of my Dad and the birth of my first grandchild in 2006, anyway. From our house to the tippy-top and back again is 5 miles. And I made it up the "Big Monster", the east-side road that goes straight up for 1/2 a mile, without even getting winded. And up the 122 steps to the very top. Where I felt the tears well up and slither slowly down my cheeks, unchecked. I couldn't even speak to Dear Hubby, the joy I felt at being able to finally do this again overwhelmed me. Thank you, Lord.

OK. So, with all that said, I 'stole' this from my bloggy friend Jaggy's site. I have nothing much to say today. It's a holiday, don'tcha know, and I'm being lazy and laid back today. So here are some questions and answers. Randomly done in order of how I found them on her blog:

1. Last time you had butterflies? The last time I went to the Oregon State Penetentiary and had to tell my life story to the inmates during a chapel service.

2. How is your mood today? Happy that I made it to the top of Tabor. Thrilled to be out walking with Dear Hubby again. Sleepy, too.

3. Do you like seafood? I like scallops, salmon, steelhead, and halibut.

4. Mints or chewing gum? Chewing gum.

5. What do you do all the time in a car? Drive. DUH! Or sometimes just ride along and let Dear Hubby do the driving.

6. Do you like to read? Yes, and I never have enough time for it any more.

7. Have you ever changed your clothes while in a vehicle? Yes, especially when I was a kid and we'd go to Westport beach in Washington State to dig for clams. We'd get soaked. Our mom always packed an extra change of clothes for all of us.

8. Who was the last person to make you cry? Goodness. I so seldom cry. I honestly can't think when the last time might've been.

9. What is one thing you miss about your past? The endless days of childhood summer and the neighborhood I grew up in. There were tons of kids and we had FUN!!!!

10. What's the largest age difference between yourself and someone you dated? Goodness...that was over 34 years ago. Maybe a couple of years??

11. When was the last time you cried? This goes back to Number 8. I can't remember.

12. Do you ever use your full name? Yes, for legal stuff only. I never use my real name for 'bloggy' stuff.

13. What is one thing you've learned about life? It's never predictable.

14. What was the last movie you watched? "There Will Be Blood".

15. Is anyone jealous of you? If they are, they have no reason to be.

16. Has a friend ever used you? Oh, I'm sure someone somewhere along the line has.

17. Who was the last person you drove with? Dear Hubby

18. What is something that you want to do within the next week? Do some major cleaning but I'm sure that won't happen 'til my vacation week towards the end of the month.

19. Who was the last person you hugged? Dear Hubby

20. Do you ever use post-its? More often than I like to admit to. My memory has been shot since I had general anesthesia but it IS getting better.

21. Do you have more friends that are girls or boys? Well, I'd rather phrase that "Women or men". I dunno. I feel way, way more comfortable with men than women but my closest friends are women.

22. Have you ever made out with someone you weren't dating? OH yeah! A guy on a trip to Minneapolis back when I was 19. A blind double date to a drive-in movie. And, BOY!! Could that guy kiss!

23. Is there a difference between the word 'best friend' and 'friend'? Most definitely. They're not even in the same league.

24. Do you care what people think of you? Not anymore. I wish I'd realized how liberating that would be and I wish I'd been much younger when I finally quit caring.

25. Is silence really golden? "Silence is the best sound of all," said Jaggy, and I couldn't agree with her more.

5 comments:

old_black said...

Yay! Great work!! I have to admit that when my body lets me down when I attempt some physical task, I tend to think, "Well, that's it. You won't ever do that again". That is, I'm on the slippery slope of inexorable decline in physical ability which will only stop when I stop breathing. Good on you for demonstrating that I'm wrong, and that there is hope of restoration.

Mrs. Who said...

I'm a latecomer to your blog so I'm not sure what you are talking about as far as your health. But I am so glad you are better - and able to climb that mountain!!

Lynda said...

Congrats on making to the top of the mountain!

Judy said...

Wow.

I'm not so sure I could even make it DOWN a mountain. Unless I laid down and rolled.

Loved your answers to the questions, I shall have to give that one a try.

Suburbia said...

Congratulations on your 5 mile walk. Such a milestone. Well done and glad you're feeling much better :)