Thursday, October 9, 2008

Rites of Passage

There is one item of clothing I absolutely hate buying. A bra. But when I stepped on the scales this morning and saw I'd lost a couple more pounds for a grand total of 32 now, I resigned myself to the fact that I have to buy some. It's to the point now where I wonder why I even bother putting my old ones on in the morning, they're so loose and stretched out and definitely not doing what they're supposed to do anymore.

Have you ever had a truly comfortable bra? I hate lacy ones...they scratch. I hate underwires...they're uncomfortable. I hate thin straps...they bite into my shoulders. If I find one that fits well around me so it doesn't cut off my circulation and ability to breathe when I hook it, I can't seem to find one that actually fits where it's supposed to, well....fit. Right now the ones I have are so loose around my rib cage the hooks slide up my back and rest in between my upper shoulder blades. Which causes the front to end up about halfway down my belly. Not very comfortable, not very flattering, and not very attractive.


I remember my first bra-buying experience. I was 11 years old and my mom, a cousin visiting from New Hampshire, and I went to a JC Penney store. Also with us was my half-uncle David who was staying with my family at the time. As we entered into the store, David started sing-songing at the top of his voice, "Kristine's buying a BRA! Kristine's buying a BRA-AH!" Oh, I was mortified. Even more mortified when I got into the dressing room and my mom and my cousin Jane gazed at me and decided that yes, I definitely needed a bra. Good grief. Why are those moments of 'passage' so awful to endure? And then when I got home and went out to play, one of the neighbor boys realized I had a bra on, grabbed the back strap and snapped it, and announced to all the other boys that I was wearing one. Not one of the stellar days of my young life.


So yeh, I'll go bra-buying on Saturday. Whoopeee

9 comments:

Sheri said...

Thanks for this---had a flash back to getting my first bra (didn't need it, but everyone else had one). I've never had one that fits and I refuse to let a sale's clerk help me.

Congratulations on the weight loss. Wish I could lose some.

The Guy Who Writes This said...

I am certainly no expert in this field, but wouldn't a sports bra be more comfortable than all the other concoctions?

Queen-Size funny bone said...

Get out and get that over the shoulder boulder holder. but if your losing weight they might be pebbles now...lol

Blog Stalker said...

So, even though you may not love shoppong for the bra, WOOOHOOO! on losing so much weight that you need to. Congrats!

and btw......why is bra-strap snapping so fun for little (and big somethimes) boys?

Have a greaat day!

Lynda said...

Bra shopping - ugh!

Mrs. Who said...

1. Ask for a professional bra fitting - it is well worth the time.

2. Try to find a "Barely There" brand bra. I have only been able to find them at Penney's but they are like wearing air. Seriously. The racer back ones that fasten in the front are incredibly comfortable.

Danielle Says Hello said...

I hate buying bras!!!

Anonymous said...

Yea, Kris, some of the "passages" in our culture are so lacking...maybe lots of us have such icky memories. Those women in your family certainly had no propriaty to bring along a male on such a shopping trip. Very insensitive. As I recall, such trips with my daughters were taken with just the 2 of us.

It is not easy to find truly good fitting ones...esp. if you do not want wires, these days. As I tell my daughter, it has to be men who design them...they do not feel good.

Melissa B. said...

Oh, gosh...I have so many of the same sentiments as you! My Mom actually said this to me once, when I was begging her to buy me a bra: "You don't need a bra...we'll get you a couple of band-aids, OK?" I think I was one of only a couple of girls in the 7th grade who hadn't yet gone through this "rite of passage." Please don't forget S x 3 tomorrow. Gotta good one for ya!