Wednesday, October 1, 2008

There are big ships and small ships. But the best ship of all is friendship. ~ Author Unknown



Love is probably one of Life's biggest mysteries. How two people happen across each other and fall in love...well, everyone who's ever had that occur in their lives has a different definition of what it is. But an even bigger mystery to me is...friendship.


What is a friend? What kind of friend are you? And what kind of a friend am I? I like to think I'm a good friend to people who I call my friends. I try to be thoughtful and loyal. Available when I'm needed, no matter what time of day or nite. I love my real friends deeply and hope they feel the same way towards me. And it is a type of love, the relationship you have with a friend. Certainly, it isn't a sexual attraction that brings you together but it is an attraction of sorts. It seems, to me, that a love relationship between a man and woman is initially one based on looking at the other person and finding them attractive. That was definitely what caught my eye the nite Dear Hubby first walked thru my door...that, and the air of mystery surrounding him and his intense eyes. I am an 'eye' person. A forearm and hand person, too. But when it comes to the small circle who I call my real friends...physical attraction never entered the picture at all. And I have had a lot of male friends in my lifetime, too...and, again, it hasn't been because I think of them as 'eye candy'. What attracts me to a friend is: intelligence, a sense of humor, decency, trust, comfort, ease in both conversation and in spending time with them, reliability, shared interests. To name a few.


I consider several of you who've crossed my path since I began blogging to be what I consider very good friends. I've never met you. I've never spoken to any of you on the phone. But I know when I need you, you're there for me. For example, I got a manila envelope in the mail today. I wasn't expecting anything -- I had been expecting my hospital bill but I got that yesterday. Oh buddy buddy...I sure hope our insurance covers a huge chucnk of it!! But today's package was a mystery until I opened it up because the Postal Service had stuck some kind of label over 90% of the return address so I couldn't see who it was from. But when I opened it up and found the most beautiful handmade card inside and the signature of the sender, I realized it was from one of my 'cyber' friends...Danielle. Oh my. It couldn't have come at a better time. I can't tell you how it brightened my day. I can't begin to tell you all how much it meant to me. And inside was this lovely poem about friendship that I'm sharing with you now:


On the Wings of a Butterfly


Your friendship is special

Like the flowers that bloom,

Or when a butterfly emerges

From within its cocoon...


You remind me of that butterfly,

Loving and free,

Bright and colorful,

For the world to see...


We will share sunshine and rainbows;

Sometimes, the rain and the snow;

We'll stand together through it,

While the cold winds blow...


When the time is right,

We won't stop to ask, "Why?"

Our friendship will take flight

On the wings of a butterfly.


-- Corky Ferguson


Danielle, I know I thanked you in an email but I also wanted to thank you here, too. Because we share a lot of 'past', a special bond in that, I am forever amazed how we share the 'present' too in what we write about at times. You are a beautiful person, both inside and out.

6 comments:

Lynda said...

How wonderful! I love my blog friends, too :-)

Jane Doh ! said...

While I don't have a huge following...I seriously love deeply and consider my blogging buddies, real people that I cherish, especially you Kris, you have always been there for me and I do appreciate you, always. I always say...we connect for a reason and I will always treasure our friendship. Your a very special lady.

Please don't worry about Dylan....it will be unsettling at 1st for him but he will be fine.I just know it's tearing at your heart strings but you need this time to heal and children are relatively forgiving.It's as good for him as it is...good for you.

Love you Kris. ((((((hug))))))

Lynette said...

What a wonderful post. I'm so glad you had inspiration to write it--your treasured friendships, in person and in cyberspace.

Anonymous said...

Even in blogland, sometimes people become "real life" friends too...one of mine I may never meet, but we along with email, and snail mail, we exchange phone calls each month as well. I am grateful for the opportunities provided by the internet too!

Greta said...

It's so fascinating how technology has made friendships possible, like blog friends, email friends and facebook. I really feel blessed by all these friends in my life.
Sometimes I wonder if technology is interfering with the face-to-face relationships in our lives - family, work mates, spouse, friends we used to call on..... What about our grandchildren - will they know how to develop real relationships or will they only text and email?

Danielle Says Hello said...

Awwwww! You are quite welcome! Hugs to you!!!