Tuesday, October 21, 2008

You can eat my dust....



Have you ever wondered what your blog might be rated for your reading audience, much in the same way movies are rated for the viewing audience? If you go here and type in your URL, you can find out. I did this once before...maybe a couple of years ago...and I got rated "R" at that time because I had words like "death" and "murder" in some of my entries -- my Dad had died, there'd been a murder committed down our street. How things can change. I have done a lot of writing about female issues and hemorrhages and hysterectomies and a gall stone I had inside of me the size of a chicken egg, but I guess whoever's doing the rating thought that must've been pretty tame compared to earlier entries. So...welcome to any of you 6 or 10 year olds who stumble across my blog! I am age appropriate. I hope you enjoy reading about my hot flashes.

Ever since our furnace has kicked on this autumn Dear Hubby, our daughter, and I have been sneezing and congested and dealing with itchy throats and eyes. It's been a while since we've had it professionally cleaned. The last time it was, the furnace guy told me it was a miracle it was still running, it's so old. Oh boy. Just what I needed to hear. That was in 2003 and each year, the first time I crank up the thermostat, I hold my breath and wait tensely until I hear it rumble to life and feel the warm air waft up thru the vents. We've lived here 26 years and our house is only 4 years away from celebrating its 100th birthday. This furnace has been here from the beginning and I don't have a clue when it might've been installed originally. Right now I don't have the extra money to have it cleaned but I went down into the basement yesterday afternoon and opened up the panel to look into the bowels of it, seeing if I could find the air filter. I did. Boy oh boy. It hadn't been changed since 2003 and it looked it. No wonder we were sneezing and wheezing and choking half to death. Just before I went to bed last nite our daughter was heading out to the store and I asked her if she'd pick up a new filter. Being the good girl she is, she said sure and I handed over my debit card to her to buy it with. I went to bed and was just dropping off to sleep when I heard her come in the front door. And I thought of that dirty, dusty filter still in the furnace. And I had to get up, get the fresh filter, and go down and install it right then. I thought about waiting until this morning but I knew Dear Hubby would crank up the thermostat when he got up and I knew the furnace would come on and all I could picture was dust mites and allergens and who knows...mouse droppings?...blowing up, up, and into the house. Ick. So there I was in my nite shirt, bumbling around half asleep.

But we have a clean filter.

And we're all less itchy and breathing better.

And I am mortified to be confessing all this.

Because I'm usually on top of things and keep a relatively clean house.

Uh oh.

Now that I mentioned mouse droppings, will I be rated "R" again?!

7 comments:

Lynette said...

Ain't life as a responsible person grand? Congrats on the fresh, warm air. I enjoyed your comments very much. I believe spending time with your grandson is a great gift that you're blessed to have.

imbeingheldhostage said...

confessions are good for the soul and funny for the rest of us ;-)
I remember buying a new filter, or pads I guess, for our swamp cooler in NM. We were so happy to get rid of the old nasty ones...until we discovered the new ones have a terrible smell for the first couple of weeks. Our timing was perfect, we had our house on the market. Everyone who came to see it got blown out the door by the smell.

Lynda said...

Perhaps you could just be PG13...

Mrs Parks said...

I remember when we moved into the little house the furnace filter was like that.
Mike cleaned all the vents and gave the furnace way more than a once over.
It makes all the difference in the world!

Jane Doh ! said...

Tom usually takes care of all of that...mostly because he has asthma. When we turned ours on a few weeks ago before going to bed it never came on, Tom went to check it out and Jack and Kurtis had filled it with salt from the water softener and it was caked on thick. Tom eventually got it going again but boy, he said we could all died that night. It's amazing it works at all, salt which was wet when it was put in there isn't exactly wonderful for the wiring in that thing.

Queen-Size funny bone said...

I would be rated dazed and confused.

Mother Goose said...

yeah, the rate it on the posts on your front page! I do photography so I was talking about photography shoots and because I had the word shoot like over 10 times I got a r rating! ooohhh, i felt so dirty. LOL