Thursday, November 20, 2008

The threads that tie Life all together....



We had a spree from 1989 until the end of 1992 where we lost 7 family members, including my mom. This year we've had almost as much happen as we did in that previous time span. We lost my father-in-law. 4 neighbors. Several friends. I've had two surgeries. There are a few other things going on behind the scenes I don't care to share with the world. And now one of my Dear Hubby's sisters is having surgery today. I won't go in to detail because his family is a lot more private than I am but it's very, very serious. Very. He's working part of the day, then going to the hospital around noon to see her and be with his mom and other sisters during the surgery, which is scheduled for this afternoon. Poor man...he's had more on his plate this year than most people have in 10. No wonder his stomach is doing flip-flops and grumbling like a Kansas thunderstorm when he goes to bed at nite! I woke up before 2 and couldn't go back to sleep, I felt so burdened for her and him and the family. I laid there and prayed for about an hour, then just gave up on going back to sleep and turned the coffee on. Dear Hubby woke up about the same time and got up as well. But we're subdued. Too much on our minds.


One of the young mothers at our church had taken my grandson Dylan to a play group at a community center near her house back when she was helping out with day care when I was having all my health issues. We're trying to find ways to help him have more interaction with kids his age because he's here with me and Cooper all the time and never has a chance to play much unless my son and his wife have friends over for dinner. There's a community center about 25 blocks from our house so I walked over there the other day and asked if they have a similar play group and the nice lady behind the counter told me that yes, they did. Every day. You pay a dollar, help put all the toys back at the end of the session. Yesterday was a nice day so I packed up Dylan and Cooper and headed over there to check it out. We stayed for an hour and a half and Dylan had the time of his life! There were about 15 other little ones there, ranging from only months old to 3 or 4. There was all kinds of play equipment for them to play with. It's held in a big gym and they're free to run. And run. And run. Perfect for my busy little boy! And Cooper was totally mesmerized by all the noise and activity and enjoyed watching it all from his perch in my arms or on my lap. By the time we walked home they were two very tired little guys. So was Grandma. But we all snuggled into the recliner/rocker and took a nap together. I know there are probably more stay-at-home-grandmas out there than I realize, but for the most part we're still a bit of an anomaly. I was the only grandma present at the play group...the mothers ranged from early 20s to early 30s and looked at me like they weren't quite sure what to do with me. And Dylan was the tallest child there, even taller than the oldest boy. I went thru the same thing when our daughter was a child, too, with her being extremely tall for her age. She'd talk like a toddler, walk like a toddler, and act like a toddler but because she was so tall most people, when we were in public, would look at her like there was something mentally wrong with her because she'd be acting her age but didn't look her age. (She was 5' 10 1/2" tall at the age of 10 and is now around 6'1" as an adult.) For a boy it'll be more to his advantage as he gets into school but for her it was not easy. Still, I'm used to it this time around. I know he's only 2 even tho he looks 5. If anyone else has a problem with it, oh well. This Sunday I'm going to try and help integrate Dylan in to going to Sunday School. Dear Hubby tried last Sunday but Dylan's so shy he was overwhelmed. We're thinking if I try he might feel more comfortable. We'll see how that goes.


The son of a family we know lost his home and all of his possessions in the latest rounds of California wildfires. At least Steve and his family weren't harmed. I heard on the news yesterday they'd either found or arrested the person they thought was responsible for setting the fire. I don't think there's a punishment created yet that would fit a crime of such magnitude. Lord help the person if any of the victims ever got a hold of him! I know arson is a mental sickness, but when you hear that arsonists don't feel any remorse for their crime...it's another item added to my list of "I Don't Understand!!!" And that list gets longer every day.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not understanding the craziness of our times...well, it describes how things are today, doesn't it? An indication of where we are prophetically I think.

This year has been a rough ride here too...I am still struggling much with minor health issues. Now caught some virus and coughing my head off. And my little granddaughter was supposed to come spend the night tonight for the first time...oh dear, I hate to think of her crying about NOT getting to come YET! Time goes so slowly for little ones.

Well, hang in there dearie...we are all kind of hanging on I think!! Ya got company there. Hope things go better than expected for your sil!! All one can do is pray.
Elizabeth

Donna said...

I think the longer I live, the more things "I don't understand". Reminds me of the old Gospel song, "We'll Talk It Over In The Bye-and-Bye".

Suburbia said...

Thinking about you and your family. Take care Misskris

kmalone775 said...

Dropped in to catch up. My granddaughter is tall for her age too. She's five now. And reading a few things. I just love that I'm a big part of her life. When I don't get to see her, I miss her.

I read a book the other day that was "placed" in your part of the country. The Shack. When you get time it's well worth the read.

Take care my friend!

Danielle Sends You A Heartfelt Hug said...

Keeping all of you in my prayers.

Vera said...

I am glad you found a wonderful play group for Dylan! That must be very exciting for him, and something to look forward to on some days. :)

I've sent a quick prayer for you and your family. And sending lots lots lots of hugs!

Melissa B. said...

When it rains, it pours. Hang in there. We'll all be thinking of you and yours. If you'd like to take a load off tomorrow, don't forget Sx3 tomorrow...a laugh can do wonders to lighten the mood!