Sunday, December 21, 2008

Christmas in the Pearl



I saved this photo from a few years back when we had just a spattering of snow in Portland around Christmas. I wish you could see a live shot of what it looks like today with anywhere from 6" to 8" of the white stuff covering it! The drifts are incredible. Dear Hubby took Chloe dog out for a walk a little while ago and we have about 1/2" of ice on top of the snow in our neighborhood from the freezing rain that's now falling. Chloe weighs around 20 pounds and didn't even break thru it. Not so last nite when I took her out just before bed and when she stepped off the last step she was buried up to her neck, ha! That's one disadvantage animals have, at least those who have to go outside to 'do their duty.'

We woke up to 21 degrees and even with the furnace going you can still feel the chill. Another day to wrap up in fleece throws and watch "24", I'm thinkin'. Church, of course, is canceled. We'll listen to the broadcast from last year's Christmas service on the radio later this morning. And keep the coffee brewing. Dear Hubby slept in until almost 6:30. I slept until almost 8. That's almost unheard of in our house! As for our daughter, I don't expect to see the whites of her eyes until at least noon or so. She works weird hours and is such a night owl because of it she rarely goes to sleep before 2 or 3 in the morning.

Dear Hubby's out doing his Good Samaritan duty of the day, shoveling all the snow off our walk and most of the neighbors on our side of the street. He just popped his head in the door and asked for a cup of coffee. Now he's back out shoveling. It's awfully nice of him to do it, considering most of our neighbors are older than us. One is a widow and one is in poor health. He said it's his Christmas gift to all of them. Later he's thinking of strapping on his snow shoes and walking to the top of Mt. Tabor. If I still had boots I'd go along with him. I never replaced my last pair when they wore out.

I tossed out bread and bird seed for all of my little feathered friends this morning. They were flocking down to eat before I finished, even sea gulls. The hummingbird feeder was frozen solid so Dear Hubby got it down from the tree for me and I thawed it out and put fresh sugar water in it. When I came outside with it, the little hummer was chittering away and swooping down at me. I'm not sure if it was from hunger or from letting me know he didn't like me messing with his food source, ha! As soon as it was up he was feeding away.

And so a quiet Sunday has descended on our house. Usually this day is busy for us, at least thru the morning. So we'll take it for what it is...a gift of respite in our busy lives...and enjoy it for what it truly is. A day of rest.

2 comments:

Alaine said...

We've probably got about 2 feet of snow on the ground and it's BLOWING everywhere. I can't remember the last time they cancelled our church services but they did today and I'm glad because Mike was supposed to usher and I didn't want him to have to drive out there two times today. We're supposed to get another storm Tuesday/Wednesday with another 6" or so. This is Michigan so we're used to the snow but it's usually not quite this snowy so early in the season.
I hope you're enjoying it. I do love to look at snow. And it's so peaceful. I love to be outside and just listen...all of the "city" sounds are muffled and I can just "be". Ah.
Well, stay warm and cozy and try to enjoy it :)

If I don't "see" you - MERRY CHRISTMAS and God Bless You!

Greta said...

Hummingbirds in December??? You mentioned the feeder a couple of weeks ago, and I was wondering about that. Here in Manitoba the hummingbirds leave the first week in September so I take the feeder in then, but I didn't think they would survive unless there was a constant supply of fresh blossoms.