Saturday, December 20, 2008

Oh, the weather outside is frightful!





These little Christmas balls were on an email I got from my best friend Lizzee the other day. Aren't they cute? Lizzee, when you read this I apologize for not getting any Christmas cards out. I just can't get with the program this year. But you do know I love you, don't you? Of course you do.


Dear Hubby took me out shopping at 7 am this morning. Our big Arctic Blast storm was supposed to hit later today and I was determined to get our Christmas shopping done. Trouble is, at 7 am the roads were already icy and snow was already falling and even with his 4-wheel drive we were slipping a sliding all over the place. Luckily very few vehicles were on the road. I had the alarm set for 6 but woke at 5 when I felt Chloe dog licking my hand so I got up and enjoyed some coffee with Dear Hubby before we set out. Dear Hubby helped me pick out clothes for the boys. 99% of it was camouflage. The man has a thing for khaki greens and tans, I tell you.

I should take a ruler out and measure the snow on the ground. Here in SE Portland the wind is howling down upon us out of the Columbia River Gorge. The wind is probably 30-35 mph sustained with gusts upward of 50. Blizzardy out there! We can hardly see the houses across the street and Chloe is buried when she goes out to potty. I'd say we have at least 6" on the ground now and Dear Hubby said he heard it could snow at least 6 more tonite. And then the freezing rain is supposed to descend on us. Oh, joy. I don't care, really, as long as we don't lose power. With some of the wind gusts today I'm actually surprised we still have it! Our son lives in NE Vancouver and he said the winds are calm at his house. The snow is falling heavy and piling high. We haven't had a heavy snow like this in a long, long time. I got an email from my mom's cousin today and she said one of the reasons my parents moved out here to the NW from New England was to escape snow like this. "What would they think of your storm now?!" she asked. With this kind of weather happening so rarely, I think they would've loved it. It would've made them think of "home." It's not often we have white Christmases in Portland.

I made a big pot of homemade chili today. Dear Hubby had to go rescue our daughter from work after only two hours this morning. She was going to try and take the bus home but just missed it and when she called Trimet to see when the next one might be coming they told her it could be up to an hour and a half wait. So dear old Dad saved her! We've all spent the day inside, her on the computer and Dear Hubby and I watching episodes from the first season of "24" that I got at the library. We saw the season premier movie a few weeks ago and had never watched the show before so thought maybe we ought to start with Season One and work our way thru them. We can only do about 4 episodes at a time...we can't seem to make up our minds if we like it or not but we keep on watching anyway. Go figure. Boredom can make you do funny things.

Someday the weather will get nice again, I know. Someday I'll be able to get out and walk with the boys again. Someday I will not be going stir crazy from being in the house almost nonstop for the past few weeks. Someday.

No comments: