Sunday, January 18, 2009

Always tell the truth. If you can't always tell the truth, don't lie. ~ Author Unknown






If you're a child of the 50's and 60's like I am, you need no introduction to this cartoon character. This is Mr. Magoo, known for his almost-blind nearsightedness. Or is it farsightedness? Whichever one makes it impossible for him to see five feet beyond his nose. Funny thing is, the older I get the more I relate to this sweet little old man. I need a magnifying glass to read the print in phone books and on pill bottles now. My eye muscles and ability to focus just ain't what it used to be. Kind of like the old gray mare.


That said, I think I've offended a couple of my newer commenters who've stopped by. When I've gone to their blogs to thank them for stopping by, I've found the print/color combination on their blogs to be near impossible to read. I was also guilty -- well, not guilty exactly -- of having a hard-to-read blog a while back. White print on a black background. Until I changed it when I wanted my blog to be added to Elderbloggers, my regular readers had been too kind to speak up and let me know what a strain it'd been on their eyes to read it. Once I changed it, several spoke up. So now I have a format, a font, and a text-size I hope is easy for all to read. With the aforementioned blogs, I tried to be as diplomatic as possible in telling them it was hard for an older reader to read. How do you handle blogs that you find hard to read, especially if you enjoy reading them and wish it was easier on your eyes? Are you offended if anyone says anything to you? I hope -- I try -- I think -- I'm open-minded enough not to take things too much to heart if someone criticizes anything I do on here. I want your visits here to be pleasant enough you manage to find your way back to visit again. I guess if I've forfeited a couple of readers by being truthful there isn't much I can do about it.

4 comments:

Danielle Says Hello said...

I know exactly what you are talking about. I can't read blogs that are dark in color, have a lot of visuals on the sidebars, or have music. There are a few that I absolutely love that fall into these categories....for them, I read them in my Google reader and if I feel the urge to comment, then I will log on to their blog. My eyesight however is different than yours, as I age I have to take my glasses off to read close up or the fine print. I believe you should say something as they may be losing potential readers - and no one likes to do that over something as simple as changing a background color. That is why my blog is such a simple design. I do know that some people can't read it because of the photo downloads but then they can opt out like I do and just read it in their Google reader.

Lynda said...

Oh, I just don't read 'em.

Linda said...

Totally not offended. I really appreciated your honesty and since I want my blog to be readable by everyone I changed it immediately. I can relate. I keep a magnifying glass by the phone and a long one in my Bible cover. Chemo changed my vision so much. Both close up and distance. I can't even read large print books w/o glasses. I don't really know how I read my own blog...hope it's better now. Also on my laptop all I have to do is hit control + and it enlarges the entire page.

Dori said...

I really can't read the white text on black background. I get loopy. Some blogs I just have to read in google reader (a wonderful tool!). And the blogs that start music automatically just bug me--what if I have my own music playing? Or I'm trying to be quiet while little ones sleep? That being said, I've never told anyone that I have a hard time reading their blog.

One of the things I enjoy about your page is that it is so peaceful. That and I truly enjoy your writing. Like I'm actually sitting down and enjoying a cup of coffee with an old friend!