Monday, January 26, 2009

Getting rid of my 'security' blanket....


Since I began blogging I've almost continually had some kind of stat counting system linked to it. No more. I deleted it at 391,000 visitors. I'm feeling anxious, tho. Isn't that stupid?! But it's kind of like the anxiety a chocoholic feels when they realize they've already eaten their secret stash of MnM's they'd hidden in the back of a cupboard and they know there aren't any more hidden elsewhere! Believe me, I know how that feels as well, since I used to weigh 221 1/2 pounds and I had MnM's -- as well as bags of fried Cheetos -- stashed everywhere...even in an empty clothes washer. I was obsessed. I was obsessed with my numbers, too. I don't like being obsessed. I want to know I can shed the counter just like I've shed around 60 pounds altogether. Dear Hubby commented to me as I passed by him the other day, "You're sure looking scrawny." He meant it in a nice way, believe me. I love that man.

7 comments:

Donna said...

Yeah, I'm pretty obsessed with my counter too, and have thought about deleting it. I always come up with some excuse, like "but it lets me know when someone has linked to me".

The thing is, with Google Reader out there, you always know that half your readers don't come to your actual blog most of the time... unless they want to comment. So the counter is pretty meaningless. Still, I love seeing what Google searches lead strangers to me.

Yeah, it's an addiction. Just like blogs.

Lynda said...

I have a counter, but I never look at it. Funny, isn't it? Good luck shedding that obsession - in a week, you won't care :-)

Marilyn said...

I got rid of my followers widget because someone blogged about loosing a follower and they were questioning themselves as a writer.
It made me remember that I do this because I enjoy it not for the number of people who read it.
I have also been seeing alot said about Google readers... I guess I need to figure that out. I just read from my blogroll as my favorites are updated.
How do you read blogs?

Danielle Says Hello said...

oh wow....sixty pounds!!! You go!!!! I like my counter...not for the stats but to see who has stopped by and from where.

Suburbia said...

Oh that's so funny! I never do the numbers thing, perhaps it's just as well, I don't want to be addicted to anything else, blogging is enough!

Twenty Four At Heart said...

Wow - sixty pounds! Congratulations! What an inspiration. Thanks for coming by my blog today. I dont know what went wrong on the commenting form, but I apologize for it! :)
I found this post interesting because just tonight I added a different counter. As I was doing it, I was asking myself WHY I was doing it!

Dori said...

I really don't look at the numbers on my counter, but I'm fascinated by how some folks get to me. Google searches or other blogs. And all the different countries.

I had a weight comment the other day--from a person I hadn't seen since I was 6 months pregnant. She looked at me and exclaimed--loudly--about how much weight I'd lost! I was floored. It wasn't 'til way after the comment was made that I realized when I'd last seen her. And she'd known I was pregnant then because she lectured me on drinking coffee! Yeah, I can go another 3 years before I see her again! :D And, no, this really has no relevance to your post at all, does it?!