Sunday, January 11, 2009

Stages of Age


It's...you know...just one of those January days. I'm not crazy about January. I just kind of plod my way thru it. Tho I did notice some crocus shoots barely breaking the soil in a neighbor's yard when Dylan and I were out walking around the other day. I'm ever hopeful of spring breaking eternal. It rejuvenates my blood. Which, by the way, is very deficient of Vitamin D at the moment. I feel like I'm deficient in just about everything lately. Especially housework and keeping on top of stuff. I'm sick unto death of stuff. Oh well.

February usually means the sun begins poking its head thru the clouds around here. Shyly at first, then a little bolder towards the end of the month. We can have beautiful weather then. Days where we can go out in shirt sleeves and not get too chilled. Then, a day or so later, a wet, sloppy front will blow in from the Pacific and we wonder if maybe we only imagined that hint of good things to come. My d-i-l is a February baby.

March is when I begin doing random walk abouts out in my yard, a yard that has been sorely neglected the past few years since I began taking care of my grandsons. Trim paint has been neglected as well. I wonder why I go out and tease myself with thoughts of what I'd like to plant here, what I'd like to plant there. In actuality I know nothing's going to get planted. The perennials that have been surviving will again be on their own. But I can dream. And Dylan was born.

April is soft rain and softer winds blowing. Every shade of green on God's palette is on display. And Cooper joined us in April.

May is Dear Hubby's birthday month. So it's a good month. No matter what the weather.

June

July

August

I love them all. They're usually warm.

September is bittersweet. The shadows lengthen. Days can be hot but nites cool everything down. My kids were born that month. Both were born during hot years. Pregnancy at that time seemed eternally long. But the end results were both worth sweltering and swelling up for.

October. Rains come. Settle in for months on end. Halloween is mostly wet and cold.

November...I like Thanksgiving. I like being reminded to count my blessings, of which I have many. And I also love it because most bakeries carry a lot of pumpkin items during November. I love pumpkin muffins. Pumpkin cookies. Pumpkin bread. Pumpkin pie. Pumpkin mousse. Probably because of the spices used to flavor it all are strong enough where I can smell them as I eat. With no sense of taste, smells are very important and, outside of texture, the only enjoyment I get from food.

December goes by way too fast. It's here and gone before I get even halfway prepared for it. I buy Christmas presents in a rush. I use gift bags for just about everything because wrapping them all is too daunting a task for me any more. I have a birthday.

Which brings me back to another January. Another year. January was the month Dear Hubby and I met on a blind date. It'll be 35 years ago on the 18th. We were 2o years old and thought we were oh-so-grown-up. Grown up enough to decide we wanted to spend the rest of our lives together. And, so far, we have. When I try to span that mental bridge of memory from the moment I set eyes on him for the first time to present day, it's gone by in a flash. A flash in the pan. A blink of an eye. A moment in time. Hardly even worth mentioning if you measure it by God's time table. Which I do. I do not even begin to understand why out of all the billions of people on this earth, out of all the countries in the world to be born in, our paths managed to cross on that cold January nite. Why, as our eyes met as he came into my parents' house, we knew...we just knew...we were meant to be.


9 comments:

Missy said...

Wow! 35 years! That's great! Love your blog!

Marilyn said...

I love this post....

January, not so much :(

Blog Stalker said...

Wow! I love where this post ended. Congratulations on beating the odds on blind dating. I actually was married young also and beat the odds every year we have stayed together. Don't you just hate it when nobody will give you chance and then has the nerve to say so to your face.

HA! on them!

Liz said...

Our first grey and wet morning for weeks so I shouldn't grumble ... but yuck! Not an encouragement to get up and go. Although work is where I have to go and be there in 20 minutes in fact. So I'd better go and shower!

x

Melissa B. said...

First off, congrats on the milestone. You beat us by 5 years. Also, I start looking forward to spring when the winter solstice has come and gone. I absolutely LOVE it when the days start getting longer!

Mike S said...

Congratulations to you both!!! We'll not get to start gardening until around mid-May as our 'ice-out' is generally mid-April on the lakes & the mud from snow-thaw is finally drying up about May. That's when we gain lotsa room inna house as the porch plants go back out:)

Linda said...

For me, January has a few good things about it. Daylight lasts a few seconds longer every day. My youngest daughter was born on the 30th, the same day as mine and hubby Jay's anniversary. It is 18 years for us. Congrats to you on yours!

Danielle Says Hello said...

What a lovely post!!! Happy Almost Anniversary - in case my present stage of age forgets (grin).

splendid said...

It seems different countries, different cultures, we really can decide things in the same understanding of the difference!
nike shoes