Monday, February 2, 2009

How To Say Thank You. Not!

Real life. Well. What can I say except it's been totally chaotic for the past week. Weather and colds and ear infections haven't allowed outdoor walks for a while. I babysat my grandsons this past weekend and I got a total of 1 1/2 hours sleep in the time period of getting up at 6 am Friday morning - I slept in 2 hours, thankfully - until crawling in to bed around 4 pm yesterday afternoon. Let me tell you, I can see why sleep deprivation is a form of torture. But when a baby has an ear infection and is screaming all nite and you're walking the floors trying to keep him quiet so the rest of the household can sleep, you're just craving sleep. But it ain't gonna happen. So, you walk the floors.

Blog writing? A blog? Do I have a blog? Oh yeah, I do! And that brings me to lopsided compliments. Well, maybe lopsided isn't quite the right word but I'm still in a fog this morning as I write this at 4:28. We had a family funeral this past Monday and it was worked out amongst us how to have the boys taken care of so I could attend it. Family we never get to see except at funerals any more were there. One cousin came up to me and gave me a big hug and after a few moments of chitchat, as she turned to walk away, she suddenly turned back and said, "You smell really good!" I laughed and said, "No, it's probably because the last 5 people who've hugged me have left some of their cologne behind." She shook her head. "No," she insisted, "you smell really good." I said, "Well, thank you!" and pondered that one over after she left. I mentioned it to my daughter later and she said, "But, Mom, you do smell good. I bet you could be in a room with a bunch of people and if I came in blindfolded and was told I had to smell you to find you, I'd find you. You just smell good!" Well, maybe they wouldn't think so after I've camped in the high desert for a week, but oh well.

Another cousin who's recently become a grandma for the first time came up and hugged me, too. When I asked her how she likes being one, she said, "Oh, Kris! Isn't it the greatest feeling in the world?" and I said yes, it is. I told her I'm caring for Dylan and Cooper full time so I'm busy with Round Two of raising babies and she said, "But, Kris, you were always so good at it!" That was one of the nicest compliments I've ever received.

How do you handle compliments? I tend to dodge and bluster my way thru them. I don't handle them well. Dear Hubby and I have an 'inside joke' where, when I'm huffing and fluffing my way thru one, he'll say, "Say 'Thank you', Krissy!" to me and that'll cause me to stop and simmer down and just say, "Thank you." A boss of mine at a former job used to say that to me when I'd get all flustered. I don't know why I do. Maybe because compliments weren't dished out much in our household growing up and I never learned how to be gracious and feel deserving of them when I do receive them.

Well. "Thank you, Martha and Dixie."

There. I did it.

5 comments:

Lynda said...

Mmm...you smell good from here!

Tess said...

Thank YOU for the reminder... praise is much easier to give than receive most of the time... I needed the nudge to appreciate the appreciation :)

Melissa B. said...

I usually tend to deflect compliments, or exaggerate them by saying something like, "Oh! I know!"

Melissa B. said...

BTW...don't forget Sx3 tomorrow. It has a Texas-sized theme. Something about armadillos?

WomenBloom said...

Why IS it so hard to accept compliments?? It's our upbringing, we shouldn't toot our own horns, or, apparently, let anyone else toot them :)

I'm workin' on it....