Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Connections



I admit I've joined the Facebook crowd tho I've deactivated my account a few times since I started it. Then I hear "Where are you? Where did you go?" and I cave in and activate it again. One of my blog friends - Danielle - recently wrote this post about why she loves it. They're good and legitimate reasons. But as I was reading the comments left by her readers I had to agree that it seems a lot of people are blogging less and less as they get more 'in to' their Facebook lives. I'm skeptical, for myself, as far as finding it addictive or even compelling me to go there outside of having become addicted to one of the games they offer on their Applications called PathWords -- I'm a sucker for word games. Maybe it's because a lot of the people I have listed as Friends don't post a lot there, either. Then I had another one who posted so often my page was full of nothing but what she had to say. So I...ahem...deleted her. I find Facebook kind of boring. But then I never got in to Bebo or MySpace or any of the other 'social' networking sites, either. Maybe it's just me. I'm not what you'd call the most social person in the world. I am when I want to be or if I'm required to be but, in all honesty, that's not very often. I am happy in my own little corner of the world. And I am oh-so-boring myself. I go there. It says "What's on your Mind?", and I sit there and stare at it and can't think of much to say. If anything. Not like here. Where I can't shut up once I get started. So I'll leave my Facebook active, I guess. But I prefer my little corner of the blogosphere...my comfort zone. My social network of one.

7 comments:

4evergapeach said...

I'm with you Kris. I'm on Facebook, but I don't remember the last time I used it. It's nice for me though because my family is on it and it helps me keep up with whats up with them. And they post pics that I enjoy seeing. For some reason they never really got into my blog, not that I ever expected them to start one, but I started one mainly because I moved away and I thought it would be a good way for them to see what was up with me but they rarely visit it and never comment. Oh well, I just figured they have busy lives and don't think about it. But I am glad for the friends that I have made here and prefer blogging to posting on Facebook. We'll just keep meeting in our little corner of the world. :)

Donna said...

Main thing I like about Facebook is Farm Town. Otherwise I could do without it. Although I guess it's kinda neat to see brief postings from people I worked with on my last job.

And twitter? forget it. I hate twitter.

I'm a die-hard blogger.

Lynda said...

I still haven't gone down the Facebook path...

Suburbia said...

I tried Facebook and deactivated it soon after. I much blogging :)

Lynette said...

I haven't succumbed to Facebook or Twitter. Thank goodness because I don't have time for either one of them. I guess I got onto Facebook because I heard my estranged nephew was on there, so I tried to find him, to see what I could learn. Couldn't get in there far enough to do any good. He disowned all of the rest of his daddy's side of the family after the divorce. His daddy is my brother, and I can't help being curious.

I'm much rather blog than try either one of these social networks. Like 4evergapeach, I started my first blog to keep in touch with relatives/friends back home in Mississippi. Every time I post I e-mail them the link, just in case they have time to look. I don't hear from many of them, much like she said she didn't. But I figure bloggin kept me from getting terribly homesick, especially those first few months of being here.

Since I adore Portland so much, I had to stop myself from going on and on and sort of gloating about it, back when we first moved. Now I don't care--they realize I love this city, if they read the blog!

I'm glad you found me so that I could find you, Miss Kris.

jutka said...

I've found that the best place to play Word Games is Pogo. I play as much or as little as I want to, and no pressure whatsoever. Met nice people in the Chat Rooms too.

Liz said...

I've with you on that, kris. I really can't see the point. The day I wrote on Facebook, 'Liz is ... cleaning the study,'was the day I stopped. It encourages mundaneity I think. Unlike blogging of course!