Friday, June 12, 2009

Another great book for the beach bag.....


While being sick most of this week with an horrendous flu bug I 'inherited' from my grandboys I read a most excellent book. This one. Even with my fevered brow, a headache that showed no mercy, and a cough that has left my rib cage aching I could not put this book down. Could. Not. Put. It. Down. All I can say is if you've ever kept track of the books I read on my Library Thing on my sidebar and read any of them...if you trust my taste in books...you have got to read this book. I don't want to ruin any of it for anyone. I'll tell you it's about marriage, about children, and about a woman trying to find herself. I will forewarn you that there is quite a bit of profanity in it, especially in the 'voice' of one of the children. I usually don't read books with much if any profanity in them but having worked as a lunch lady in a large city middle school for 7 years, I know how kids talk. I know profanity means nothing to them. It is what it is, and the writer used it, I think, to keep this young person 'real'. And I knew a lot of kids just like this one, sadly. A few years ago I read another book by this very gifted writer called "Me & Emma". That book was every bit as riveting and powerful as this one is. Pick them both up. I don't think you'll regret either one.

2 comments:

verabear said...

I totally trust your taste in books :) This one sounds very interesting but I've got quite a tall (very tall) pile of books to read, so I'll save this for way later. Haha :)

Danielle said...

I have just bookmarked it "to be read" thanks....hope you are feeling better.