Friday, July 31, 2009

Another good book for the beach bag....









I sat down and read a book today. An entire book, something I don't have the luxury of doing very often any more, ever since I began doing the day care for my two toddler grandsons. I picked the book up around 10:30 this morning at the library and, between cooking dinner and doing a couple other minor chores around the house -- vacuuming and sweeping off the back porch -- I finished reading it at 7 pm this evening. And did I ever enjoy it! It's Lis Wiehl's "Face of Betrayal" that she cowrote with April Henry, a writer who lives here in Portland. A who-dunnit mystery. I liked it. I liked it a lot. It's very rare that a mystery of this type of genre keeps me guessing more than halfway, but even tho I had my suspicions as to who might have done the killing, it wasn't until near the very end of the book that I really felt like my choice was the right one. Plus the story was based here in Portland with the mention of many businesses, neighborhoods, and streets I'm familiar with, as well as Good Samaritan Hospital where I spent a lot of time after my Dad suffered a major stroke and was in their excellent rehab program. I've been to Forest Park. As a teenager, my son worked there one summer for the Parks Bureau. I did some training at Lincoln High School for a job. As I said to Dear Hubby, what is it about us humans that makes us giddy or especially pleased when we read a book about our city or region and can recognize it as "Hey! I've been there!" Silly, but it does give you a bit of a rush. Or it does me, anyway.

I'm not sure which author did most of the actual story writing and which one supplied all the technical information needed. My thinking tells me Ms. Henry must've done the bulk of the story telling. Anyone with any knowledge of Ms. Wiehl knows she was on Bill O'Reilly's radio program for several years and does frequent legal analysis on his television show. However the two women decided to split it up between them, as far as I'm concerned it's a winning combination and I hope they collaborate again in the future. There were about a bazillion holds on it ahead of me at the library but it was well worth the wait.

1 comment:

Lynette said...

I agree, and I understand. I do that same thing with movies, TV shows, travel shows. It always tickkles me when I see somewhere I've been personally. Have you read those Philip Margolin books? I think they're really good, and I even know one person he thanks for helping hime with one of them. Neat!

About the Street of Dreams, I've wondered if I could get away with just looking out the windows! I might give it a try.

You two enjoy your weekend!