Tuesday, July 14, 2009

If it's free it's for me....



When the boys and I were only a block from home yesterday at the tailend of a long walk I spotted this car seat sitting on the curb. As I was in need of one and so close to home I stopped and went over to check it out. Everything was intact and in excellent order. The door of the house it was sitting in front of opened and a young mom popped her head out. "Feel free to take it if you want it!" she called to me. She told me her little boy had just graduated up to a booster seat. So, I thanked her and I took it. And I was very thankful I was only a block from home because it was very awkward navigating the double stroller one-handed while lugging this big thing as well.


I did an on line search of the brand, an Alpine Omega. This particular style sells at Sears for $189,99. I think I found a good bargain. I have a pick up truck and Dear Hubby has a pick up as well. We have a booster seat for Dylan that I keep in my truck because, on the off chance I need to run a quick errand once Dear Hubby gets home from work, Dylan likes to come along with me. My daughter and I were talking recently about how big the boys are growing and how the double stroller days will soon be over. She graciously offered me the use of her car on days when I want to take the boys for an outing. All I needed was a car seat. Now I have one. We'll get it put into her car soon, maybe this weekend when I have the time to puzzle it out. With all the straps and gizmos it looks like it needs a rocket scientist to install it


4 comments:

verabear said...

What a steal! :)

Lynda said...

Congrats on a good find!

Dori said...

A few words of caution...any way to go back and talk to her about its history? Accidents? Bumps? Drops? There's also an expiration date on the back in the plastic--check that too. There should also be a manual with it--or downloadable pdf off of the website. It's most likely Latch compatable (hence all of the straps) but your truck is most likely non-latch. Just use the seat belt through the back and it'll be fine. Yes, after all of the times I've installed and uninstalled carseats in the last four years--I am an expert!! :D

Our infant seat and stroller system were free--and what a godsend! When our youngest was born we had nothing! And to have at least that essential part just given to us was amazing. And the seat expired right about the time the baby grew out of it anyway--it was perfect!

Yes--they do expire...the plastic starts to break down and become brittle.

wildcatsthree said...

What a great find. See, walking IS really good for you- hah hah.
Have a great day