Monday, August 31, 2009

Counting down the days....

...until my vacation. Last year was such a blur, with having two major surgeries and recuperative time. I don't think I had an actual vacation. Believe me, regaining strength and stamina and health is not a vacation. I asked Dear Hubby if I'd had one -- his memory is much more reliable than mine -- and he thought it over for a moment and said no, I hadn't. The kids had had to use their vacation time last year to take care of the grandboys while I got well.

Lord willing, this year I'm having one, starting this coming weekend. 9 days of doing nothing much except resting, reading, working in my yard and putting it to bed for the season. And spending some hours with my best friend Lizzee. I can't even remember the last time we got together...a couple of years ago? And we only live about 30 miles or so from each other! How pathetic is that?!

I was talking to my neighbor Sharon the other day about friendship. She said, "And you have a lot of those." Like she was assuming I did. I said no, not really. I'm too busy. Acquaintances, yes...many of them. Friends I spend time with? No. Some days that bothers me. Some days it doesn't. I don't even find time to spend with myself, and I enjoy my company just fine, thank you.

Another Monday.

I hope it sunshines today.

7 comments:

Wander to the Wayside said...

It's funny you should mention this, because I'm always writing about it (see my post 'Cottage Treasures'). In addition to spending three years taking care of the grandsons, we moved to a totally new area and I've not even made any friends, at least ones I could actually be friends with. And the people I do meet that are acquaintances are either 20 years younger or 20 years older! I'm always saying 'where are the people my age???'. Yes, I think people assume we all have friends, especially those who have lived in an area for quite some time who do have friends, but there must be many of us who actually don't. I think that's why I took to blogging so quickly, someone to talk to!

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

It's so necessary to take care of oneself! Better late than never! Cultivate yourself, my dear! Enjoy your vacation.

Hippy Mama said...

I started blogging just after baby 4 was born it was a way of connecting with people. I'm very lucky that I do have a few really good friends. Some live near and some far, meeting up for coffee is a treat and mostly we phone, txt or mail.

Have a good holiday :0)

Midlife Jobhunter said...

"I don't even find time to spend with myself, and I enjoy my company just fine, thank you."

I hear you, although I tend to be so selfish that when I have a chance, I spend my time with myself.

Have a great vacation.

Betty said...

Since my kids don´t live close by, friendships are very important to me. I need them to stay sane. But I can totally understand not having time, because you are babysitting. If I were in the same situation, my kids would come first too. But it´s great that you want to "warm up" your friendship again. There will come the day when you have more time for friends, so don´t let them "die" in the meantime.

Pam said...

Enjoy your resting, reading and relaxing vacation. 9 whole days to do just what you want, when you want. Sounds like heaven to me.

Like you, I enjoy my own company and really do need some alone/quiet time everyday to stay sane. But, I'm also very social and enjoy spending time with my friends on a regular basis. It can be hard to fit everything in, though. I'm happy that you will have a chance to see you friend. Maybe you can schedule another get together for some time not so far in the future. Maybe if it's in the calendar it will be easier to make it happenl.

Liz said...

Hope you're enjoying your free time.