Monday, August 24, 2009

My Book, I guess....




So I began writing my book. Three weeks ago. I got one chapter written and then I got so overwhelmed with Life's interruptions I haven't had enough computer time to really sit. Not think, so much. Just sit. I have this idea in my head that if I think about it too much it's going to ruin it for me. And I am not going back and rereading what I've written. Are you like me, where the more you read what you've written, the harsher you criticize your own words? Is 'harsher' a word? Whatever. The thing is, when I took a creative writing class in high school my teacher was a big believer in stream-of-consciousness writing. It was so deeply ingrained in me it's the only way I know how to write. Just like with my blog. I rarely ever have anything thought out, plotted out, or even vaguely in mind for the most part when I sit down here at my desk. I just turn on the computer and begin writing. And the same goes for my poetry. What you read of that on here is composed as I type. Words flow and my mind feels like the old ticker tape used for stock prices? Like Gomez Adams used to pour over on the "Addams Family"? Just a steady stream, tick-tick-ticking away.

I've come a long way in my blog writing, tho. My first blog is filled with mile-long entries. I had a lot I needed to work my way thru emotionally and needed to get off my chest. And, boy, did I do that. I purged myself clean until I got to the point where I'd written myself into such a corner I didn't know how to find my way out of it, other than to start a new blog. Which I did, here, in December of 2007. What's the old saying, "Less is more"? Or something to that effect. I think what changed my 'volume' of writing was when I read the average blog reader doesn't spend more than a minute reading a blog. Goodness. And I realized I'm one of those, tho I usually spend more than a minute. But I prefer the to-the-point entries myself. I have so little time to read, I want to read as many friends' blogs as I can in the time I can visit. So, I try to be as concise in what I have to say as I can and I try not to ramble ramble ramble. I try hard not to be too boring. Tho I must admit there are times it just feels so gooooooooood to sit here and let the words pour out I get carried away. Oh well. I'm only human.

So, if you've gotten this far with me this evening, I just wanted to let you know the book is started. And I do plan on finishing it, even if it takes me 10 years. I remember reading about Jean Auel, the Oregon writer who wrote the phenomenally successful "Clan of the Cave Bears" series of books, how she began writing her books on an old type writer at her kitchen table. And the lady who writes the "Harry Potter" books...pretty much the same thing. That gives me hope for myself. They had an idea and they went with it. Maybe that will work for me, too.


7 comments:

Midlife Jobhunter said...

You may have already read this, but there is a book by Anne Lamott entitled Bird by Bird. She teaches about the "shitty first draft" - where you just write and write and write and know it isn't going to be good. But you get your story down and then go from there. Keep going.

Wander to the Wayside said...

I'm with you on the stream of consciousness thing ... I only started my blog six months ago, and I still just sit down and start typing whatever comes to mind. I try to write honestly, without a lot of embellishment. Sometimes I border on bla bla bla, but am working on that! And I think I still write too personally sometimes - you know, too much information about ME.

I'm glad to find another blog by someone in my age group! I'll look forward to coming back.

Good luck with the novel. That's just an awesome goal to set for yourself.

Betty said...

I think the fact that you can just sit down and write, truly defines you to be a writer! It does not come that naturally for me. My language barrier is always a hindrance to me. I think in German and try to write in English. Tough sometimes.
But your writing is always interesting to me. Too bad I only found your blog now, I would have loved to read your old blog too.
Have fun with the book writing!!

Hippy Mama said...

I'm not a writer but I think with any creative process you have to do what feels right, you have to do.

Thankyou for your lovley comment, made me smile.

your post - bloggy thoughts. I've had 7 blog meets, one has become my best friend and we mail, phone or txt daily and meet up every week (we live quite near). 4 are good friends we mail/phone/txt and meet up when we can (2 are nearish and the other 2 live quite a distance away) 2 were not quite how I percieved - nothing sinister, just their blog persona's were different to how they are in real life.

Liz said...

I've been working on my novel this morning. I feel a bit stilted at the moment and am struggling with it, but we're writers: as you say, we'll persevere!

Bridget Locke said...

I'm the world's worst self-editor and it has taken me FOREVER to learn how to just keep going and ignore my previous stuff. I think that's why I'm actually so close to finishing my first draft (finally).

I KNOW it's going to suck, but I'm getting it done. The whole "Making it work" thing? Yeah, that's what the editing process is for. lol

verabear said...

Go go go Kris! Goodluck with the book writing!