Monday, August 17, 2009

Time has come today....



Remember that old Chambers Brothers song? You had to be alive back in the 60s, I guess. I had a sobering thought yesterday. Next year, people born in 1980 will be 30. 1980! It makes the decade I was born in, the 1950s, seem like ancient history. Have you noticed things that come from or were made in that time period are now being referred to as 'mid-century'? For some reason I find that unsettling. As the grandboys and I were out walking the other day we came across an old '57 Ford Ranchero for sale, parked along the street. Mint condition. And as I looked it over, admiring it, I got to thinking about how much the car industry has changed since then, how gadget-less and streamlined the makes are nowadays. No fins and steering wheels the size of super-duper pizzas. No big ol' bench seats you could stretch out and go to sleep on. Some of those seats were as comfortable as beds, or so it seemed to my kid-sized body back then. The old radios you tuned in by twisting a dial, radio stations that crackled and fizzed out as you drove out of their broadcasting range so you'd twist the dial some more until you could find something you could hear. Nowadays your car talks to you. Imagine that.


We're headed back up into 90 degree weather for 4 days this week until it settles back down into the 80s by the weekend. I am so not looking forward to it. The grass is so parched. The trees look about as wilted and dried out as I feel. Lack of rain for them. Lack of LACK OF for me. Mentally I am just not into this game lately.


And so it goes.


And goes.


And goes.....

4 comments:

Donna said...

Meanwhile, we've had an abundance of rain all summer, and cooler-than-usual temps for the most part. Peculiar year, this.

Betty said...

I can totally understand how you feel. Heat can really drain a person. Add to that hot winds and dust and you have our weather from last week. Luckily it has changed again, and is a little cooler now, but we still need rain. Hubby is starting to feed our cattle with hay because the pastures are all used up.
So let´s pray for rain. Here and there!

Sandy said...

After a soggy, cold spring and early summer we are hitting the 90's and, of course, all bitching!

When I read your post title the song immediately started in my head! One of my favorites from the 60's.

Jaggy said...

I tell ya, first rain I see and I'm running out to just stand in it. Even if I stop traffic. Especially if it's during work hours! ;)