Monday, August 24, 2009

What a disappointment....


Another favorite writer with a very disappointing book, or so it was for me. In fact, I didn't get past the first 50 pages or so. I'm not sure...was it fiction? An allegory? I have never read such weird dialogue coming out of characters' mouths in my life. I'm not sure what happened to Mr. Conroy on this one. Three of his previous books -- "The Prince of Tides", "The Great Santini", and "Lords of Discipline" -- are some of my all-time favorites. Not this one. I'm glad I got it at the library and didn't pay any money for it. I would've taken it back and gotten a refund.


2 comments:

Midlife Jobhunter said...

Oh, don't tell me this. I just bought his book and I don't buy books anymore. But he's my favorite author and I've been savoring the thought of reading it. I know that last John Irving book I couldn't get through - and I never put down a book.

Wander to the Wayside said...

I'm disappointed to hear this as well, but will still give it a try. He's also my favorite, and I've been waiting for this for a long time!