Saturday, August 22, 2009

Yesterday was today before tomorrow happened...

"Hi, World!"


Oh, I am just so...so...wordless tonite. I think. But here I am, sitting at my Grandma's desk, keyboard in front of me and a soft breeze blowing in thru the dining room windows. Coldplay on my Discman. Dear Hubby softly snoring away in the recliner. Kick back time.

I don't know what urge hit me today but I've been very domestic. Grocery shopping took almost two hours, wandering aimlessly up and down the aisles of Walmart and Fred Meyer. Oh. What. Fun. I am two hundred dollars poorer. And what do I have to show for it? Well, I must admit I did buy some rather offbeat items this week, besides the usual groceries. The salad and marinades and chicken breasts and milk and juices. Fruit looked pathetic so I settled on bananas only. I can't wait until the new crops of apples come in. I bought a birthday card for my friend Babe. She'll be 78 in a few days and I wanted to get it off in the mail so it reaches her in Maryland in time. She is the mother of my childhood best friend and the funny twist of our friendship is the fact that her daughter and I have kept only marginally in contact for the past 35 years. It's Babe who has become such a lovely friend. She'd lived in my hometown until earlier this year but her health has declined and she moved back to Maryland to live with her daughter's family. I got a note from her in the mail the other day telling me she's back there and settled in now, in a big house with 7 kids, 4 dogs, and 3 cats. She told me she's not as patient as she used to be so she knows she's getting old. A household that busy would be a little overwhelming no matter what age a person is, don't you think?

Dear Hubby and I took a drive out to the Goodwill in Oregon City this morning. On the way we passed a yard sale and stopped to look. I got a solid wood mid-century modern (I love that term) 4-drawer chest for $10 that was in very nice shape. I plan on using it for storing the grandboys' books and art supplies. Dear Hubby found a two-man pup tent that looked brand new -- the seller said he'd only used it once, and by the condition it was in we believed him. Another $10 well spent. At the Goodwill I found a couple of heavy-duty boys' winter coats for the grandboys for our cold weather walks and a lightweight Nike jacket for Dylan for Autumn. All three coats look brand new and I spent $18 for them. My son used to think thrift store shopping was for poor 'trashy' folks but he's become very impressed with the things I find for the boys for practically nothing. It's amazing what you can find if you take the time to search thru the racks and know your labels. The Columbia Sportswear coat I bought for Cooper for $6.95 cost $99.95 new. I rest my case.

I swept the porch. I dusted. I cleaned the bathroom. I did a few loads of laundry. I started reading Pat Conroy's new book that I picked up at the library on our way home. I sat out on the front steps and visited with my good neighbor Sharon for a while. I felt at peace and content and had a very good day.

I read this post over at "Fat, Frumpy & Fifty" a few days ago and it has stuck with me so I thought I'd put in my two cents' worth about the subject, about whether or not we are who we are online:


I am me,
only more of me,
whoever
me
is.
I once was
a shy young girl.
I believed in
human
decency.
I still do,
sometimes.
I never cried then.
I grieve now.
I was endlessly restless.
Now I am just
restless.
I loved then.
I cherish
now.
Time was measureless,
endless.
Now I know
how precious
time
is.
I was young then.
The funny thing is,
deep down,
I
still
am.

2 comments:

Betty said...

What a beautiful poem!
Loved reading about a day in your life. Sounds normal and interesting. I went to the second hand store with my daughter yesterday too and we found some good clothes. My other daughter would never go, but this one, she likes a bargain.
Hope you have a nice Sunday!

4evergapeach said...

For someone that started so "wordless", you certainly had a lot of wonderful things to say! Sounds like a glorious day. Like you, I love thrift shopping! Garage sales too. It's amazing what great bargains you can find. Thank you for sharing the poem, it was lovely!