Monday, September 7, 2009

Another good read.....


Oh. My. Word.
Cassandra King's book, "Same Sweet Girls" , has to be one of the best books about women's friendships I've read in a long, long time. She could've left the "F" word out and it would've been perfect...I DETEST the "F" word in books...but I ignored it and just went with the story which was soooooooooo good. Is there a 'real' book out there without some kind of profanity in it?! Why do writers feel they need to use it? I find Christian novels too preachy and self-righteous...too "If you don't believe like I do then YOU'RE wrong!!"...and I don't care for them at all. Even tho I'm a Christian. So I suck it up and go with regular fiction for the most part. Unless it's too profane. I'm not preaching to the choir...I'm just stating my own personal like. How do the rest of you readers out there who read my blog feel about it?? Will too much turn you off the book? Do you overlook it or ignore it? I'd really like to know.

2 comments:

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

I too am a Christian who doesn't read Christian novels - blehhh!!! I try to overlook profanity in novels most of the time; sometimes it's needed for reality (in the reality I was raised in, there were lots of those words)! But yeah, I agree; sometimes it gets a little over the top. Quite often with movies, I'll just get sick of the language and turn it off. But it has to be a lot of profanity to really get to me.

I spent some time with an old friend last year that I hadn't seen in years. Turns out, she's a Christian also. And when I made a comment on someone's language being off color, she said "You don't get out much, do you!" It really got me thinking about how, yes, most of my time was spent with other Christians. And Christ hung around with the kind of people who would use that kind of language; and he loved them and accepted them. So, I've learned to lighten up!

Judy said...

I ignore it.

Something I cannot figure out how to do with movies, though.