Friday, September 4, 2009

I. AM. ON. VACATION. !!!!


Was this day ever going to end?!


I had serious doubts.


It stretched out to 12 hours, due to wrecks on the freeway which lengthened commutes for my son and daughter-in-law who had plans to rendevouz here after work and then take the grandboys to a Beavers baseball game this evening. Now, I give them kudos for even trying that tonite, considering the only nap taken by either one of them was by Cooper around 9 am for 45 minutes. So...from the time they arrived at 5:30 this morning and by the time they left at 5:30 this evening...well, let's just say it was one long, long day. For all three of us. It's now just past 7 pm and I didn't even do the dishes. I am sitting here in my nightshirt, listening to my Discman, and I am r-e-l-a-x-i-n-g. Really relaxing. Dear Hubby just went to bed...he has plans with a friend tomorrow very early...a guy-thing kind of day. I should go to bed too but I want to savor these first few hours of vacation. No alarm going off at 3:15 for me, thank you very much! I can't seem to sleep in past 6 or so in the morning when I have time off but even that is 3 hours more than I usually get. And I checked the library website this evening and I have 4 books ready to pick up tomorrow morning....whoooooooooeeeeeeeeeee!


When you type on your blog, do you think you sound just like you do when talking? Is it the same 'voice'? I'm fortunate to be a very fast typist so I don't have much trouble keeping up with my thoughts as they come... so yes, I think I sound just like I do when talking. When I talk, that is. In a recent email to someone I said that in 'real life' I'm not much of a conversationalist. It's thru the written word where I do my 'talking'. Several years ago I had a friend named Lynette who was one of the quietest people I've ever known. She never had a whole lot to say but, boy, was she a marvelous listener! Sometimes she felt bad about not saying much but she told me her mother had said to her once, "Lynette, there's nothing wrong with being a quiet person. Most people love to hear themselves talk. What the world needs is more listeners like you." Have you ever read the book "Small Sacrifices" by Ann Rule? It tells the story of an Oregon woman named Diane Downs who tried to murder her three children, succeeding in killing one and seriously injuring the other two. It was made into a movie starring Farrah Fawcett who did an outstanding job. Diane Downs is a serious sociopath and I have never forgotten one line in the book concerning how she talks. I believe it was one of the law officers who originally interrogated her who said that listening to her talk was like listening to verbal vomit...the words just poured out of her nonstop. I know a few people like that myself. I avoid them like the plague. At this stage in life I don't have the time and I definitely don't have the patience for it. Sometimes I am such a bad person, aren't I? I never used to be selfish to this point with the few moments of time I have alone. I'm not talking about my solitary alone time...I'm talking about running in to someone I know and skedaddling down another aisle in the grocery store, hoping I make my escape before they spot me. I hate grocery shopping enough as it is without getting cornered by someone who won't let me go. I know one woman who will literally back me against a wall to keep my attention. It almost gives me a claustrophic panicky-attack feeling. I can't wait to make my getaway!


And I am seriously, seriously getting totally fed up with the bicyclists in this city who insist on riding on the sidewalks!! If they had any clue how hard it is to navigate a double stroller in the best of times, maybe they'd be a little more considerate instead of expecting me to give them the right-of-way. And barrelling past me from behind without even letting me know they're approaching. It's against the LAW, you inconsiderate nincompoops! Argggghhhhh! All I need to do is misstep once and I could be seriously injured, especially when they go whizzing by. Or if one of the boys leans out to the side to look back at me to say something, they could run into them and break their necks.


Ok...maybe I should go to bed. I'm tired. I'm irritable. I don't have anything nice to say about much of anything tonite. Oh, except to mention a young man who did something so unexpectedly nice today while the boys and I were out walking. He lives next door to the library branch I frequent. He and his wife have chickens and a beautiful garden. They've both noticed the boys and I stopping at the end of their driveway to peer down it into the back yard to see the chickens and had told us we're welcome to go to the fence and watch them whenever we like. As we walked past today the young man called out to me and came over with his hands full of chicken eggs and some ripe green tomatoes whose name I've forgotten. He said, "I was hoping you'd come by today so I could give you these!" And I don't even really know him. Random acts of kindness like that always warm my heart to the point of melting, you know?


6 comments:

Wander to the Wayside said...

I understand your fatigue all too well! Of course any parent will say that they get tired, too, but they haven't parented in an over 60 year old body!

I always feel guilty when I can't think of things to say when I talk to someone, and I'm not sure why that is. I usually end up uttering nonsensical babble that probably makes them think I'm on drugs, because I don't hold a train of thought well. So I, too, tend to avoid run-ins with people at the store or a neighbor. Not to be rude or unfriendly, but to save them from having to converse with a socially ackward person!

Enjoy your books and quiet! But I'm guessing that after a couple of days you'll be missing the little buggers.

sinnlighet said...

Godmorning lady poetry,

I'm very very happy for your nice comments on my blog, and sooooo suprised over the swedish swedish word you told me ..... SMÖRGÅRDSBORD O;)) BUT.....I hate smörgårdsbord!

I live in the south part of Sweden, closed until Copenhagen, and this part is called 'the swedish provence',or Österlen.

So nice so nice to meet you!!

Agneta

Midlife Jobhunter said...

I had great fun reading this post. Just a what my day was like post. I'm glad it ended with such beauty. Fresh eggs and tomatoes. Like the line of a warmed heart melting.

Enjoy your time off. And sleep in past 6am. Lying in bed and lolling is great.

Betty said...

I loved this post. I love the way you write and that you write like you talk or think. That´s why I immediately knew I needed to follow you. I like you!
I´m so happy for you, that you finally get some vacation time. Especially today, being all alone, will be good for you. I can´t imagine getting up at 3 a.m. every morning!! I admire you even more now.
And I can totally relate to your grocery shopping story. I too hate it when certain people corner me. Some people think the grocery store is a place to visit and that drives me crazy! Get on with it people, and get out of the way!
Ok, so I hope you are still in bed when you read this.
Have a fun vacation!

Donna said...

My neighbor, the one who is now on five years probation, was one of those who "verbally vomited" so much, you couldn't get a word in edgewise. Knowing what I know now, I think it was just the meth talking.

Judy said...

Once I hit 50 I realized why old people don't seem to dread death.

It's that REST IN PEACE concept.

Ahhh.