Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Safety vests and Barbie doll babies....

I am really really REALLY getting tired of Portland motorists and bicyclists almost mowing my grandboys and me over as we go on our daily walks. I want to reach inside vehicles and rip those stupid cell phones out of their hands and give 'em a good whack across the head, I am that fed up with drivers who are completely oblivious to the traffic and pedestrians around them. And I am normally a peaceable, easy-going, hard-to-rile individual. As for bicyclists, it's the LAW that you ride your BIKE on the ROAD!!!!! Do you hear me?! With the load I'm pushing the least you could do is give me the right of way. But, oh no...no. You expect me to pull over into the grass. Into the bushes. Give you the curb ramp so you can come off the curb without a bump. You've pushed me out into traffic lanes to dodge you. You have endangered my life but, more importantly, the lives of my grandbabies!!!!

Ok...with that rant out of the way...you'll never guess what I've begun wearing every day out on our walks now. One of my husband's fluorescent green hunting vests. Yup. They may run me over but they won't be able to say they didn't see me. Like I told Dear Hubby, I'm not out making any fashion statements as it is...I just want to survive. And I am NOT going to quit walking...oh, no.

And now, with that said, I found this photo of a Barbie outfit I once had. Or maybe a better description would be an 'accessory' set, since there's no dress included. Or pants and top. I loved this play set, tho. I still have the baby doll. Naked as a jay bird, but intact. And now my grandboys have it mixed in with all their little Fisher Price people and other sundry bits and pieces of toys. I've told Dylan the story of the little doll, how Grandma played with it when she was a little girl. He loves to hear stories about my childhood and this little doll intrigues him. Whenever he finds it he holds it up excitedly and yells, "Hey!" to get my attention. It's like he's found buried treasure every time he unearths it. And little Cooper understands there's something special about it, too, that it means something to Grandma. When he finds it he yells out, "Baby! Baby!" and waves it at me. My son would kill me if I passed on my paper dolls to them. But this little baby doll is totally generic...just a naked little he/she my grandbabies love as much as I did.

3 comments:

Midlife Jobhunter said...

Good luck with the vest. Maybe you need a big stick, too.

Great that your grandkids are getting joy from your toys. Seems that is how it should be.

Wander to the Wayside said...

I agree with the driver thing. I'm the 'watcher' when my grandboys and the other kids are using the driveway across the street for their ramp because it's on a little bit of a hill ... and the other day, even with me my big yellow SLOW KIDS sign located several houses away (which I've convinced all the kids to put up even if we're not here), and me sitting off the curb in a white chair, a lady came barrelling down the street with a phone to her ear and would have hit a kid if I had not yelled CAR COMING. She.did.not.see.us!!!!! And then when she did, she looked at us like it was OUR fault that she almost hit them!

Betty said...

Oh, I totally agree with you on those bike riders!!! It makes me so mad! And our roads are deserted. Even then they still drive on the sidewalks and WE (the pedestrian) has to move out of the way, when they come! DRIVES ME NUTS!!