Wednesday, October 21, 2009

You never know what golden nuggets you might find...


I Often Contradict Myself


I often contradict myself.
Oh no, I never do.
I argue with me day and night.
That simply isn't true.

Oh yes it is. Oh no it's not.
I do this all day long.
Oh no I don't. Oh yes I do.
That's right. No way! It's wrong.

I'm really quite agreeable.
I argue night and day.
I love to be around myself.
I wish I'd go away.

So if you see me arguing,
it's certain that you won't.
I like to contradict myself.
I promise you I don't.



Dear Hubby and I walk thru the Mt. Tabor neighborhood as we hike our way up to the top of Mt. Tabor park. Recently I've noticed an attractive wooden post mounted along the sidewalk in front of one of the houses we pass by. At first I didn't pay any attention to it, thinking it must've been a "For Sale by Owner" advertisement. Then I realized there was no real estate-type sign along with it and it piqued my curiosity. So, the last time we walked by I stopped and inside it I found several photocopies of this delightful poem by the children's poet Kenn Nesbitt. The home owner happened to be out in his yard with his dogs and he saw me stop and take one of the copies so he came up to us and told us the 'history' behind these wooden posts that are popping up around the Tabor neighborhood. I'm not sure if the poetry is chosen by each home owner -- I forgot to ask the gentleman that -- but the idea behind it is to pass on a little bit of 'art' to the world around us. What a great idea, don't you think? If my curiosity hadn't gotten the better of me I never would've discovered Kenn Nesbitt. I think I need to pass this on to my neighborhood association, too, as we have a lot of foot traffic going by all the time. This world needs a little more beauty in it...something to make you stop and smile or think.

3 comments:

Liz said...

I'm catching up as usual!

What a talented and fascinating group of relatives and friends you have. Lovely idea.

Betty said...

What a great idea!! That is so wonderful and it brings the neighborhood together. I think that´s so important!

Pam said...

What an awesome idea and a great way to foster a sense of community. I wonder if this movement will catch on in other states? Very interesting idea.