Thursday, November 5, 2009

As the world goes insane yet again around me...



I am kicking back relaxing to some good tunes with the volume loud. I'm drowning out the latest horrific news being broadcast tonite about the deadly shooting at Ft. Hood, Texas. It is beyond me, the lunacy that abounds in this world. And this Major who participated in the shooting was a psychiatrist?! Excuse me?! Lord have mercy on us all. I am in need of sticking my head in the sand and just blocking it all out tonite. Some days it's just too too much.


I had the grandboys for only half a day today. Both are sick with nasty colds. Their mom got it first, their dad got it next, then it was them, and then this morning both Dear Hubby and my Daughter woke up with sore throats. The only one bypassed so far is me and I dunno how that's happened because I've had more snot and juicy sneezes aimed at me, wiped on me, and drooled on me in the past few days, I've had to change my shirt at least twice a day. ICK! (shudder shudder)

I went to the bank, stopped at the post office to mail off some arrows my husband had sold, stopped at the library to pick up a book that had come in for me, and did my weekly grocery shopping. Then had time to make a big pot of homemade chicken/vegetable/rice soup that I served with fresh warm French Bread. I sat down here at 5:10 this evening. Do you know the last time I sat down at 5:15 on a weeknite?! I sure don't.


The book I picked up is Barbara Delinsky's "While My Sister Sleeps". I hope it's good. I am getting very tired of waiting for a new book, only to be disappointed yet again. I got Eileen Goudge's newest book, "Once in a Blue Moon" at the library recently and I could not for the life of me get into it. And usually I enjoy her books. Is it me? Is it the writers? Maybe I should go back and reread a lot of my old favorites. I haven't done that in a long time. Would you like a list of some of them? Well, whether you do or don't, here they are:


1. The "David & Claudia" books by Rose Franken


2. "The Plum Thicket", "Tara's Healing", "The Enduring Hills" by Janice Holt Giles


3. All of Gladys Taber's "Stillmeadow" books


4. "Giant", "Cimarron", and "So Big" by Edna Ferber


5. "The Trees", "The Fields", and "The Town" by Conrad Richter


6. "The Thorn Birds" by Colleen McCullough


7. "East of Eden" by John Steinbeck


8. "Main Street" by Sinclair Lewis


9. "Ride the Wind" by Lucia St. Clair Robson


.....just to name a few.


I read this today. I felt so badly for this man. I can't imagine how humiliating this must feel. But then again, maybe I can since I did the same thing many years ago. You want to go crawl in a hole somewhere and just...die.


And I read this today as well. It also made me want to crawl in a hole somewhere, too. It didn't make me want to die but it made me cringe with discomfort, wondering if I'm one of those driveling, meandering, boring, talentless ninnies out there in the blogosphere who has no content, no structure, and thinks they can write when they really can't and shouldn't.


Ouch.


3 comments:

Donna said...

I love anything by John Steinbeck.

This whole Fort Hood mess has me depressed too; my son and his (then) wife and two kids spent a couple of years at Fort Hood.

Maybe it's good I'm this old, the way the world is going. God have mercy on my children and grandchildren.

Betty said...

I didn´t read the links, but let me just tell you, YOU are not one of those! You do know how to write and I hope you don´t stop, at least not here.
I´m glad you had an afternoon off and hope you don´t get the cold. You have a very descriptive way of writing how it is with little kids and colds.....brought back many memories! :)
Well I hope you have a great weekend and enjoy your new book.
Come by my blog today, I´m having a giveaway!

Pam said...

I read both links and I must say the woman author who slams bloggers sounds a little uptight to me. Who said blogs were literature? Who's forcing her to read blogs she doesn't like? She sounds bitter and angry and I really didn't like her tone at all. Bloggers blog for all sorts of different reasons. Not all of us even consider ourselves writers. Some of us just want to express ourselves. If she doesn't like it, she doesn't have to read it. I'm sorry she didn't have comments allowed on her post. I wonder why not? Is she afraid of criticism? Hmmm..