Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Christmas Countdown...



Dear Hubby finally got his Christmas bonus so after our daughter-in-law picked the boys up after work he and I made a trip to Fred Meyer to pick up some last-minute food items for my contributions to our Christmas dinner on Friday as well as the last of the gifts for the grandboys. I was done with everything within half an hour. As I placed all the items on the check out counter I told the checker, "I don't mean to sound like Scrooge but I'll sure be glad when all of this is over." She rolled her eyes, let out a big sigh, and said, "Me, too!"


Don't get me wrong. I love Christmas from the spiritual standpoint. I love the Christmas decorations at church, the beautiful music and singing that goes on. I love the lights decorating houses. But the grinding of the gears that goes on preparing everything else...jostling crowds in the stores, worrying about if there's enough money to go around...that isn't fun. We've really begun simplifying this year. No more stacks of gifts. One nice gift for each adult child, half a dozen for the grandboys each. Dear Hubby said it's time we begin saving a little bit of it aside for ourselves for a nice getaway weekend sometime soon. I agree. We need that.


Yesterday the boys and I got out for a nice long walk for the first time in ages. We went to the bank, stopped at Fred Meyer for a much-needed diaper/Pull-Ups replenishment. I bought a container of Christmas cookies and on the way home we stopped at one of the construction sites we've been visiting the past several months while the city works on improving our sewers. We've become such a regular sight the guys tell us they've missed us if we haven't been by in a while. They've all become like 'friends' to my grandsons, especially Dylan, and have been so nice, taking the time to show him stuff down in the trenches and treating him like one of 'the guys'. I wanted to thank them for their kindness. Dylan was so excited to give them the cookies...he handed them off to one of the men and wished him a "Merry Christmas!" You don't expect grown men to be touched but they were so appreciative...thanked him profusely, gave him high 5's. I don't know who got a bigger kick out of it, the giver or the receivers!


Then we stopped at a little pizza place to buy a pizza to take home for lunch. We go there every week or so and the young woman who works in there has been so kind to us, too...letting the boys have little super balls and interacting with them. Dylan loves to 'pay' with either my debit or money. Yesterday we had $10 on us so he paid for the pizza and gave the change back to me. I bent down and whispered to him we were going to give Kim a Christmas present, too, and told him to hand the $5 back to her and wish her a Merry Christmas as well. He did, and she was speechless. When she told me, "You didn't have to do that!" I told her yes, I did. "What goes around comes around," I told her. "This is to say thank you for your kindness."


OK...maybe I like Christmas after all.

4 comments:

Donna said...

Indeed.

Pam said...

Your stories brought tears to my eyes. Simplfying is key. I've managed to do that with Thanksgiving, but Christmas is another story. I was just having a conversation with my husband this morning about how to make Christmas morning less hectic. Seems there really isn't a solution that wouldn't cause more problems. Ugh!

Wander to the Wayside said...

I'm with you on simplifying Christmas, and I think this year that theme has really resonated with a lot of families! Conspicuous consumption is a thing of the past, especially when it's put on credit cards! Fewer gifts, lots of lights and music, pleasure of each other's company, simple gestures of kindness and good will.

LC said...

What a wonderful testimony to the impact loving grandparents can have in a child's life! Thanks for sharing and inspiring. You have given the Christmas gift better than any toy, an introduction into the joy of giving without expecting anything in return.