Saturday, December 19, 2009

Christmas Meme....


I found this delightful meme at Jeanie's site, who found it at our friend Betty's site:



1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Bread pudding.


2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Santa wraps. That's the magic of Christmas, the anticipation of wondering what's inside!


3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? Colored, and tons of them. I don't like white Christmas lights. Too sterile for me. Sorry...personal preference is all.


4. Do you hang mistletoe? Nope.


5. When do you put your decorations up? Before I began doing day care for my grandsons, the first week of December. Now I'm lucky if I get any up at all.


6. Favorite Holiday memory as a child? We didn't have much money when I was growing up but I remember my 4th Christmas when my mother somehow found the time to make me a doll house. That was something I wanted SO badly that year. They didn't have the funds to buy a 'real' one for me so my mom somehow found the time in her busy schedule to make one for me out of cardboard boxes taped together. She'd carefully cut out doors and windows, using a pen to make door knobs and other decorations. She put scraps of fabric on the windows for curtains. Furnished it with a cheap little set of doll house furniture and plastic dolls. There was so much love and effort put into it, and when I found it under the tree on Christmas morning I was absolutely enthralled. I played oh-so-carefully with it so it lasted a long, long time.


7. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I was around 7, I think. With two older brothers more than willing to spill the beans, it's a wonder I made it that far!


8. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? No.


9 How do you decorate your Christmas tree? I let the fiber optic lights that change color all the time do it all.


10. Do you remember your favorite gift? The year I graduated from high school and had a job I told my family I didn't want to receive any gifts, I just wanted to give them. I could finally afford to give nice things and I didn't want anything in return. I mean, my poor middle brother had been getting a package of Fruit of the Loom underwear from me each Christmas from as far back as I could remember. After everyone had opened their gifts my Dad spoke up and said, "Hey, it looks like there's a gift still there behind the tree. Kristine, why don't you go see who it's for?" I went to retrieve it and on the tag it said "To Kristine from Santa". Oh brother, I thought. I began to open it from the bottom of the box...it was long and oblong. As soon as I parted the flaps and saw a black shoe inside I knew what it was. "MY RAGGEDY ANDY!!" I squealed. I'd wanted a big Raggedy Andy F.O.R.E.V.E.R. Forever!!! But the funds for one had never been there when I was a little girl. That gift meant the world to me. It was love at first sight.


11. What’s the most important thing about the Holidays for you? Experiencing it thru the eyes of my grandsons.


12. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? Coconut balls rolled in decadent, rich, and expensive dark chocolate!

3 comments:

Jeanie said...

I so agree with you on the bread pudding...that is one of my favorite desserts. And seeing Christmas through the eyes of little children is a special blessing.

Pam said...

I love that story about the doll house. I can just imagine the love that went into making that gift. Brings tears to my eyes.

Betty said...

Your writing makes me envision you on Christmas morning receiving the dollhouse and Raggedy Andy. Two special story's. Loved it!