Tuesday, December 8, 2009

A Day in the Life....



And so...another day ends in our household. I know, I know...I'm always and forever telling you how busy I am, right? How I never get to go to the bathroom by myself. How I can never sit in a chair by myself. I think it was my Daughter who said I resemble a human jungle gym the way I have one or both grandboys crawling and/or sitting on me almost constantly. I am a very popular Grandma!


So here is a typical nontypical day. I woke up around 3, about 15 minutes earlier than I needed to get up, and turned off the alarm. Went out into the frigid living room with my Bible and breakfast and wrapped up in a fleece throw. I am a diehard tightwad and it gripes me to turn on the heat any earlier than I need to in the morning. I awakened Dear Hubby at 3:45, fired up the computer, and did a little 'visiting' and emailing. At 4:30 I turned up the thermostat and went to get dressed. I made the bed. I put a load of laundry in the wash and brought a load upstairs from the dryer to fold. I went out into our 14 degree morning and put a load of trash in the garbage can as well as a sackful of dirty diapers out of the little trash can I keep on the front porch for that purpose. I set up the coffee maker for the afternoon when Dear Hubby comes home from work. I baby-proofed the house, making sure books and magazines and knives and my Discman are up out of reach of Cooper...it also entails putting a table and gates across the steep stairwell in the dining room and tying it all together so the boys don't accidentally fall down it during the day. The boys arrived at 5:30 and then it was a free-for-all until Cooper settled down for a nap around 11. We played Bat and Monster and Hide and cars and trucks and Dinosaurs and took several trips to the potty because both boys are potty training at the same time. Chili for lunch when Cooper woke up. Then more Hide. More cars. When Dylan tired of that he took his big Tonka dump truck and began running it back and forth thru the house, from couch to kitchen cabinets, over and over yelling, "Watch me, Gamma!" every time and me yelling "Ready! Set! Go!" In the meantime, I sat on the dining room floor with Cooper while he played with the Fisher Price garage. Dylan whizzed by again and then "BAM!" Then a long moment of silence. Then, flying around the corner screaming at the top of his lungs with his mouth streaming blood runs Dylan. Into my arms and holding on for dear life. I'm still not 100% sure what happened, if he tripped and slammed his mouth into the back end of his truck or hit the kitchen cabinet full-force. But he completely knocked the lower front left tooth out of his mouth. I found the tooth. Put it on ice. Got a hold of my son and d-i-l and told them what happened. They called the dentist. I got a call to put the tooth in a bowl of cold milk. They took him to a pediatric oral surgeon who decided not to implant the tooth, figuring the adult tooth will eventually come thru. And one thing about Dylan...he won't be 4 until March but he already stands as tall as my lower chest so to see him with a gap in his teeth isn't going to look too remarkable since he looks like he's 7 years old! Everyone showed up at the house around 4:45 to pick up Cooper and away they went. Then, dinner, more laundry, dishes, setting up the coffee maker for the morning and...finally...here. At my Grandma's desk. With "Viva la Vida" playing in my Discman, Dear Hubby reading in the living room. It is 6:35 pm and I'll be heading for bed at 7. Outside of Dylan's disaster, this was a typical day. Oh, outside of not fitting a 4-5 mile walk in to our day. It was too cold to go out.


And you probably say, "Well, so what? Mothers have days like this every day, too." How true. But most mothers are 30 years younger than me, if not more. I'm going to be 56 in a couple of weeks. And today, I feel every year of it.


But tomorrow is another day. Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of my life. And I'm ready for it. I think.

7 comments:

Pam said...

This is remarkable. But the most remarkable part is how early you get up every day. 3:00 am is the middle of the night. I could NOT do what you do. It takes every ounce of fortitude for me to get out of bed at 6:30 am. I am NOT a morning person. You are amazing.

Lynette said...

Pam's right, you're amazing! And so well-blessed, dear Kris, with your energetic and loving family. And, girl, can you ever write. I adore your comment at Mama and Me from PDX, about the sunrise on the skyline. It's beautiful. Thank you!

Judy said...

Oh, Kris.

I like to think that if I really stopped to think about what I am doing I'd be too tired to do it. So, when I stop to think, I try not to.

Jeanie said...

All I can say is thank goodness for weekends. You are so right that taking care of kids is very different at 30 than it is 25 or 30 years later.

Betty said...

I truly admire you. I couldn´t do, I know myself well enough. Thirty years makes a huge difference and I hope you have strength and health to keep this up!

Loretta said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mel said...

Wow! I am humbled! You make my days look easy! Between the two of us, we are awake 21 hours out of every 24!