Saturday, December 12, 2009

A ho-ho-hum meme....



I am not a blog decorator when it comes to holidays. If you won't tell anyone I'll confess something here...I'm not much of a 'house' decorator at holiday time either! But here's a little Christmas tree of a sort to get us in the 'mood'. Something has to get me in the mood!


OK. I'm tired and not feeling well so I'm 'borrowing' from my darlin' friend Betty once again. So here goes on some more random questions:



1. Which physical trait do you now accept--maybe not love, but accept--and no longer feel extremely self-conscious about? My basic physical appearance. I will never be 21 again and able to fit into a teeny-weeny bikini. I'm no slim jim, but I'm not grossly overweight. I'm just...comfortable.


2. This week Meredith Baxter Birney, best known as the mom on the favorite 80s sitcom "Family Ties" came out of the closet, which led me to formulate this question: Who do you think is/was the best TV mom? Sada Thompson as "Kate"on the old show "Family". She had such a quiet grace and was so 'unflappable'.


3. Do you speak any foreign languages? Are there any you'd like to learn? I don't and it is one of my life's regrets. But I have an excellent ear for languages. I also have an uncanny ability to understand foreigners when they speak heavily-accented English, too. Maybe that comes from years of working in our church's merchant seaman ministry and having people from all over the world come to our home. From Algeria to Zanzibar and anywhere in between!


4. Who is your personal hero? I have to agree with Betty on this one and say the Lord. People will always fail and disillusion us. (Does Tiger Wood come to mind?!) But in 35 years of serving Him, the Lord has never let me down and never deserted me.


5. What is one holiday food that you find extremely difficult to resist over- indulging in? Coconut balls a co-worker used to make and bring in to work at Christmas time. She used only the highest-quality chocolate to roll them in and they were sinfully delicious!


6. Tell me about a Christmas decoration that has special meaning or sentimental value. A little styrofoam ball with a pipe-cleaner for a hanger. It still has a few of the green and red glitters on it that I glued to it about 50 years ago when I made it.


7. How do you feel about snow? As long as I don't have to drive in it, I love it.


8. On average, how many hours of sleep do you get each night? I go to bed around 7 pm and get up at 3:15 am...so that's what? A little over 8.


9. Tell me about your first crush. My very first crush was on a boy named Craig I met in Play School when I was 5. I was in love with him until we moved away from my hometown just before I turned 13. If I had never moved away? Who knows. But he liked me, too. And, ironically, our paths crossed again when we were 19 when he was dating another girl and I was dating another boy. I felt the spark was still there and I'm sure he did, too, because when he took my hand and squeezed it at the end of the evening, it was like just the two of us were in that car, not 4. He looked me straight in the eye and told me, "It was really really good to see you again." But we were with others. And not long after that I met Dear Hubby. But I always wished somewhere along the line I could've kissed him.


10. You're stuck in a room for 2 hours with only a chalkboard and chalk. What will you write/draw? Probably flowers. And experiment with my signature. But I'm left-handed and never did very well with chalk because my hand has a tendency to drag over whatever I do on a chalk board and smear it.


11. Do you dress for the current temp or for the day's forecast? I am a jeans-and-t-shirt person no matter what the weather. And I hardly ever wear a coat no matter what the temperature is. I'm a Swede, you know. I thrive on comfort.


12. Favorite Christmas movie is? It's a toss up: "Christmas Story" and "The Family Man". I can't choose between the two.

1 comment:

Betty said...

That was fun to read. That´s why I like doing these meme´s. I get to know something about you, that you probably never would have shared otherwise.
That crush you had sounded so romantic. Makes you wonder, what would have been, right? :)
Hope you have a great Sunday Kris!