Friday, January 8, 2010

Daily Distractions...



Another week bites the dust. Mercy, it's been a hectic one. You probably find that hard to believe since I barely left my house, outside of a quick trip to the library and Fred Meyer with Dylan on Wednesday to pick up some apple juice and milk. My younger grandson Cooper has been suffering from some type of infection...not exactly a UTI but something to do with that area of the body and it caused him undue misery as well as having him go to the bathroom literally every 5 minutes. I kid you not, I must've set him on the potty 30 times on Monday and Tuesday...per day! Today we were finally down to maybe 12 times? And I could distract him from wanting to go so I think the antibiotic is finally kicking in. I think at this stage it's just become a habit with him, ha! And every time in the past he'd say, "Ow!" And most of the day today his bathroom visits were "ow"-less. Poor little guy. I should have biceps like Arnold Schwarzenegger in his prime.


I have forever been a Cat Stevens fan from the very first time I heard a song by him. A few years ago he finally released another CD called "An Other Cup" and it's lovely to listen to when I'm relaxing. A lot of people have a problem with him becoming a convert to Islam but I have never been one influenced by another person's political or religious affiliations or beliefs. To me, he still sounds like Cat Stevens. And that's all that matters to me.


I was so mortified on my birthday. An aunt of ours who is 80 years old stopped by unexpectedly around 8:30 in the morning to bring a plant and card to me. Wouldn't you know it was one of 'those' days where the grandboys' behavior was unpredictable at best. I told her as I opened the door and gave her a big hug, "Enter at your own risk!" She just chuckled and poo-poo'ed me like she could face anything, came in and sat down on the couch. I don't know what possessed Dylan but he had a blanket in his hands and went over and tossed it on her head. Bless her heart, Aunt Lois peeled it off and just laughed. And thankfully it didn't ruin her weekly-salon-visit hairdo. Arggghhhh. Most of the time they're such good boys for me. Always busy, yes. But good. Every now and then...and my birthday was definitely one of those times...they're out to kill each other. I play referee all day, prying them apart and trying to keep Cooper from biting down to Dylan's bones. And Dylan from cleaning Cooper's clock. Once upon a time Dylan still took naps. And that little respite in the middle of the day would give me the chance to catch my breath but outside of a rare day here and there, his naps are history. I am on the go from the time they arrive until they go home. People are always telling me, "I don't know how you do this on a daily basis." Well, I don't either. Outside of the fact I love them to distraction and they give me so much love in return. You know what I don't understand? Grandparents who tell me an hour or two with their grandkids is all they can 'stand'. That sounds even crazier to me than my crazy household.


I think I need to pick up a cheap radio or small appliance and give it to Dylan with a screwdriver and tell him, "It's yours. Do with it what you will." This little boy isn't even 4 years old until March and he's already figuring out how to replace batteries in his toys, how to use a remote to find his DVR shows on DISH. If I tell him something needs to be turned on or tightened, all I have to tell him is "Turn it like your screwdriver to make it tight" and he does. He's got "Lefty loosey, righty tighty" figured out better than I do. At Fred Meyer the other day I forgot to buy M&M's for him and Cooper, something I'd promised, and as we were getting ready to leave the store he spotted them and asked if they could still have them. So I told him to go pick out two packs of them and I handed him $1.50 to pay for them. I told him to go stand in line and when it was his turn he was to give the nice lady the money for the candy. I stood a little off to the side with my shopping cart while I watched him do this. And he did it just perfectly, taking his turn and giving the money to the checker. She's one who we deal with quite often and she praised him to the skies, telling him what a big boy he was. You know, it's we adults who underestimate just how smart kids are. We limit them by the limitations we set for them most of the time. I'm always trying to figure out new and safe ways to let Dylan and Cooper 'expand' intellectually and socially and rarely do they ever disappoint me. One of their current undertakings is getting the coffee maker set up with "Papa's" coffee so they can turn it on just before he gets home from work. I put the water in, then we all sit down on the kitchen floor and Dylan puts in a new filter. He puts in 4 scoops of coffee, Cooper puts in two...then Dylan gets a chair and puts the container into the coffee maker. They love to turn it on in the afternoon, then stand on a chair together, lift the lid, and watch the water come thru the spout and drip down into the coffee carafe. They're fascinated with that and haven't tired of it yet! And then when Papa comes in it's, "Come see, Papa! We made you coffee!" And of course, Papa thinks it's the best coffee ever made. I don't think there's any made that has more love put into it, that's for sure.


Oh, are you wondering how Aunt Lois handled the blanket over her head? She took it off and laughed. And laughed when he shot off one of his space guns in her face, too. Arggghhh. And then, still laughing, she got up and said, "Well, I think I'll leave you to your day." And gave me a hug. And left.


The woman is a saint.






6 comments:

Judy said...

I can soooo relate!

I'm sure you can understand how happy I was that the haircutting incident did NOT happen while I was watching them. And, happy that the baby was already a baldy!

安室 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Wander to the Wayside said...

I know you know how big a part of my life my grandsons are (ages 4 and 6), and though some days they can drive me to the point of wanting to lock them in a closet and throw away the key (especially when they're doing the sibling rivalry/physically fighting thing), I would not give it up for anything in the world. In the blink of an eye they will be big boys and off to live their big boy lives, and Mawmaw will be someone they love but will only see for a Sunday lunch and holidays. So I'm holding tightly to every minute that I have with them now, every frustrating, funny, and loving second of every minute.

Jeanie said...

Watching them grow from day today and being a part of that is truly a blessing....tiring, but a blessing. I haven't done full time care with my grandkids, but am glad I get to see them very regularly, go to their plays, games, have sleepovers, etc.

~Red Tin Heart~ said...

I love Cat Stevens..
xoxo Nita

lc said...

Sorry you had a rough day, but oh, so glad you shared. It made my day great and filled with laughter.