Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Weighed in the balances....


I don't mind when new bloggers contact me and ask me to promote their blogs now and then, just to get a few readers to come over and help them get established, especially if they're serious about blogging and decide to stick around a while. I've lost count how many bloggers have come and gone in the almost-five years I've been blogging. Most of those who were blogging when I first began on another server fell by the wayside a long time ago and that blog service is a virtual ghost town now. But I've had one person lately who comes across too pushy for my taste and after thinking about it for a few days, I took my link to her site off my blog. I appreciate the fact she's trying to drum up traffic but it's the way she's gone about it that puts me off. Asking me to 'write' about her and her projects with links...no, that's not the way I function. She did one thing recently that really turned me off and when I weighed what she'd done in the balances, I found myself deleting her. Am I cold-blooded? Have any of the rest of you had this problem? How have you dealt with it?

6 comments:

Donna said...

I deleted one today; she's stopped allowing comments, and she seems to have a chip on her shoulder, trying to make people angry. Seems bipolar to me. That's no crime, but hey lady, if you want to make enemies, I'm not going to promote you.

Judy said...

No. I have not had that problem. But if I ever did, I would not promote anyone that I did not know.

I do get a generic email request from someone who would like to advertise on my blog.

Seriously? I get about 60 readers a day and I'm rather sure that half of them are me!

Betty said...

No, I´ve never had this problem either. No one has ever "asked" me to link to their blog. I have done it many times, but of my own free will. I didn´t even know they asked.... :)
I would feel the same way you did though.

Meadowlark said...

I don't think I've ever had anyone ask - I had an organization once (Police Wives) but it made sense.

In general, I'm probably more likely to drive traffic AWAY from a blog ;)

I do mention blogs I find when they kick *ss... such as Chef Tess the amazing bread painter chick.

Lucky you, popular lady!

Pam said...

I don't think you are cold hearted at all. I think it was more than generous of you to link to her on your sidebar. I've never had anyone ask me to do that and I don't think I would. I don't view my blog as advertising space. Maybe I'm the cold hearted one.

Rob-bear said...

I've never given that much thought. If I did, I'd only include those people I visit regularly. Practically, if a blog isn't interesting enough to visit regularly, why list it? Besides, finding time to visit a lot of people is challenging, even now (when I'm not "working").