Sunday, February 21, 2010

Can you tell me the name of that song again?



I went to visit my friend Dori's blog this morning and she had written a beautiful post about the significance of one song in her life. It was inspired by this post at her friend Beth's blog, which I also went to read. And it's been on my mind ever since. I left two different song titles in their comment boxes..."Play Me" by Neil Diamond for Dori and "Loneliness" by Annie Lennox in Beth's. I'd be awfully hard-pressed to come up with just one song for 56 years of life on this earth. Awfully hard-pressed. Because music has been my salvation thru some of the hardest times in my life. It has always been there for me, even when people haven't been. And so I think I'm going to sit here and do some thinking and write about some songs as they come to my mind. I'll start off with the two I've already mentioned:


Play Me by Neil Diamond: Oh, I hear that song and I dissolve in puddles of tears. Every time. They bubble up to the surface and spill over and I have no control over them. Why? Too personal to put in to words in some aspects but others I can tell you, hearing them from this vantage point of Life, are knowing that my parents were both alive, that I was fresh out of high school and finding out that life outside of school was what I'd been hoping it would be...a new start in finding the 'me' who'd been lost to myself for the past 6 years. The hopes of a young woman setting out with stars in her eyes and dreams in her pocket. And, even at the age of 18 or 19, the deep regrets of some of the things I'd already done that I couldn't go over and redo, relive. But now, in hindsight, those regrets have turned into thankfulness. Without those experiences I wouldn't be who I am now. They taught me not to be so harsh, so quick to judge and condemn. To have compassion. A tender heart. Hard earned but well learned.


Loneliness by Annie Lennox: Was this woman peering inside my head when she wrote this song? Are we kindred spirits? Is she the twin who shared my mother's womb and never made it to see the light of day? I have no clue why this song resonates in my heart and soul like it does because I have such a blessed and wonderful life now. But it's funny how our past haunts us, isn't it? The hours, the years, when I was so alone. When I really had no one to talk to, to listen to me. To help me. I'm sure a lot of it was my own fault. I had trust issues. I had a lot of emotional scars that were inches thick. I didn't know how to let anyone in. So I put myself in a box and tucked the lid down tight. It took the right person to come along...Dear Hubby...to start peeling back the layers of scotch tape I'd wrapped around that box and help me see that yes, there still is happiness to be had in this world.


Cats in the Cradle by Harry Chapin: As a mother, I thought I understood this song. As a grandmother, I know that in my young years I didn't even have a clue what it was all about.


Time in a Bottle by Jim Croce: This was one of 'our songs' when Dear Hubby and I were dating. It's timeless. It means more now to me 36 years later than it did when we were young lovers. Sooooooooooooooooooo much water under the bridge....so many hard times and good times.....sickness.....loss of loved ones.....babies born.....grandchildren. And, with finding the Lord in our young years -- I was a young mother of 22 with an infant daughter 33 years ago -- I'd say the odds of us doing this are pretty good:


"If I could save time in a bottle

The first thing that I'd like to do

Is to save every day 'til eternity passes away

Just to spend them with you"


5 comments:

Donna said...

Time in a Bottle is indeed a keeper. The only songs of my youth that I can say influenced me are hymns. Old Rugged Cross, What a Friend We Have in Jesus, and others.

Dori said...

If I wrote a post for each and every song that's meant something to me--I'd be covered for the year, at least! I love Neil Diamond--another amazing songwriter that helped me through some tough times.

Donna, every time I hear "Old Rugged Cross" my grandmother is standing beside me, singing in her deep country accent and it warms my heart!

Rob-bear said...

Good choice of music. The only one I didn't recognize was Annie Lennox piece. Others take me back to the days when I used to play music on the radio. (Talk about ancient history — another lifetime!)

I should probably write something about the music in my life — some of which is background for my blog.

Joy said...

Neil Diamond has a way, doesn't he, of touching us where we live. One of his songs that makes me emotional is called Cante Libre. Some of it was in Spanish, but the middle verses are:

I got music runnin' in my head,
Makes me feel like a young bird flyin',
'Cross my mind and layin' in my bed,
Keeps me away from the thought of dyin'.

I got music runnin' in my brain,
Ev'ry song with it's own kind of meaning,
Cleanse the soul and wash away the pain,
Baptized by the song that you're singing.

It causes so much emotion in me because music is the door through which I met Jesus Christ. It is the reason I came to believe that God existed.

And speaking of Neil, have you seen this video of Play Me from the 2008 Madison Square Garden Concert. Bet 'Grandpa' Neil (5 grandchildren) can still make you cry. He was 69 in January.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu915MFokrs

MissKris said...

Joy, I usually don't write comments to comments on here but I have no other way to contact you. I wanted to thank you for the link to "Play Me"...I'm going to have to wait until tonite to go find it and watch it but I'll have my hankie ready. Thank you also for sharing the lyrics to "Cante Libre:...that is one Diamond song I'm not very familiar with. I wish he and Natlie Maines had made a 'real' video of this song but here's another beautiful one he wrote that I love:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Niz8C2Nj34