Tuesday, February 16, 2010

How I spent my day off...



I try really really hard never to get too excited when I find I have an unexpected day off. Yesterday was one of those. As Dear Hubby and I were driving home from The Dalles on Saturday he asked me, "What are you going to do on your day off Monday?" I told him, "I'll figure that out when it gets here. I take it one day at a time."


You see, rarely ever does one of those days end up being 'off'. It comes with the territory of once-a-mom-always-a-mom. I spent most of the day sitting in the waiting room of an oral surgeon's office while my daughter had an impacted wisdom tooth removed. It went ballistic on her over the weekend. Mind you, it wasn't a bad day. I brought along a small sack of books. I was in the process of finishing one and brought along some extras to look thru when I finished that one to figure out what I would read next. And that's exactly what I did. And I wasn't bothered by anyone. And it was peaceful with music from my favorite radio station playing unobtrusively in the background. The television was off. The sofa I sat on was very comfortable. So...all in all...it was a day off. It couldn't have happened on a better day, really, logistics-wise. I would've had to take her no matter what because she couldn't drive after being under anesthesia so it would've been a nightmare to try and figure out the grandboys' day care and for my son or daughter-in-law to take a day off.


Sure, it would've been nice to spend it here at home alone. But once-a-mom-always-a-mom. Your 'child' hurts, you take care of them. That's just the way it is.

5 comments:

Betty said...

I so agree! If my child is hurting, I wouldn´t enjoy my day off anyways. So I´m glad you got some down time, even if it was in the dentist office!

Midlife Jobhunter said...

How true. And how we know to entertain ourselves when we pack up and are ready to go - at a moment's notice.

Hope your daughter is doing well.

Anita said...

You're right...that IS the way it is.

I spend much of Sunday on the phone and computer with cell phone issues, and then had to go to the cell phone store where my daughter and I spend almost two hours. But...we got both our new phones in order...I hope!
There's always tomorrow...again, we hope. :)

Bridget Locke said...

And I gotta tell ya (even tho I've said so already), that the fact that you were there meant everything to me. *hugs*

Jeanie said...

Your daughter was lucky to have you to take her and I'm sure you were glad to be able to do it. I'm glad the time turned out not to be unpleasant. Nothing wrong with having some time to read.