Sunday, March 7, 2010

If the shelves are dusty and the pots don't shine it's because I have better things to do with my time...




I've had one of those weekends where it doesn't seem like I've done much but when I sit down and start thinking it over, I did more than I thought I did! Birthday shopping and grocery shopping. Curtains washed and rehung. The back porch swept off and empty coffee cans collected for Dear Hubby to take to work tomorrow...they use them for storing paint. Vacuuming. It was an absolutely glorious day here yesterday so Dear Hubby and I drove out to the archery club he belongs to and enjoyed the beauty along the Columbia River...all the waterfowl, everything in bud or greening out. I got 100 pages of a book read. Then we stopped at a little store/restaurant on the way back into town and had dinner. Just one of those perfectly simple days. I even found the Peter Gabriel CD I've been searching for!




Our friend Roger came over on Friday and built a whole new stair case off the back porch. He did a wonderful job! He put an extra tread in the middle to make them more sturdy for little legs running up and down. Next on my agenda is to call around to get estimates for the back gates that need installing. I am getting so psyched about having a safe place for the grandboys to play! One of the reasons I've always taken them on long walks is to get them outside in fresh air and give them something new to look at. But over the winter Dylan has grown from a toddler to a 60-pound 4-foot-tall little boy and Cooper must weigh close to 30 pounds now. I realized the other day as I was pushing them and some groceries home from Walmart that our days of double-stroller outings are pretty much a thing of the past. Plus, now that Cooper's been walking almost a year he's not the least bit interested in riding in the stroller any more. About the only time he'll even consider it is if his parents forget to pack his shoes. Or we can start out on a 'big boy walk' where he's walking alongside and can get into the stroller when he's tired. He amazed me the other day by walking close to a mile and a half, all on his own steam. And he took a 3-hour nap that afternoon!


For the longest time Dylan was almost mute. He wouldn't say anything but the barest minimum of words, even tho he observed everything with the deepest concentration. You could see the wheels turning inside that little head of his but nothing would get him to talk. That finally changed maybe 9 months ago and ever since then there's no turning back. You can hardly get him to be quiet. The other day I took him with me to the bank and as we pulled up to park in front of the house my neighbor Sharon's aunt and uncle from Yakima were just arriving. Dylan barely knows them...they show up every few months for an overnite stay on their way to the beach...but that didn't deter him. He rolled down the window of the truck and stuck his head out. "Hi! Hi!" he called, getting their attention. "I'm Dylan and this is Grandma but Papa and Cooper are in the house. It's just me and Grandma out here!" Then...out of the truck he goes, chattering a blue streak. Music to my ears.




4 comments:

Betty said...

Yes, you did accomplish a lot! You should be proud. I love the smell of the house with clean curtains! Your grand boys sound like they´re growing up.And you are enjoying every moment. I´m happy for you.

Vanessa Rogers said...

I love simple days, they are some of my favorite. My weekend was full of fruitless errands. I felt like I was running around attempting to get things done and getting nothing done.

Joy said...

I don't have grandchildren yet, but had the privilege of babysitting two beautiful tow-headed-blue-eyed boys, five and two and a half, for a younger friend the other day. Luke, the older, is serious and studious and all about gathering knowledge. He has recently become interested in the Solar System. Little brother Noah marches to the beat of a different drummer. Forget about facts and figures. He says, "I want to BE an asteroid!"

LC said...

Loved the update on Dylan's growing conversational skills. Aren't grandkids a wonderful adventure!