Thursday, May 20, 2010

Memory is a way of holding onto the things you love, the things you are, the things you never want to lose. ~ "The Wonder Years"



Recently an aunt of my husband's asked us if we'd like the photo slides and old films taken by our beloved Aunt Gin, one of my husband's aunts who was like another mother to me. She passed away back in 1992. We jumped at the chance to get them and Dear Hubby stopped by his aunt's house to pick up the collection as well as the old film projector and screen. Little did we realize just how BIG a collection it is...boxes and boxes! I haven't had a chance to look at anything yet but Dear Hubby has begun slowly sorting thru everything. And lo and behold, something he's been finding a lot of are old photo slides taken of weddings thru the years at our church, mostly of couples who married back around our time, in the early 70s. This was before we ever became church members. As we're finding them we've been contacting the couples, asking them if they'd be interested in having them and, of course, they're really excited about getting them. These are all photos they've never seen before. Most of the couples involved are still intact, some of them now celebrating their 40th anniversaries. One, sadly, ended in a divorce a few years back. Another couple left the church years ago and are living in Colorado now. With some sleuth work and help from a friend of mine, I was able to contact them thru Facebook and I got an email this morning from them telling me they'd also love to have the slides so I'll be packing them up and sending them off in the next few days.


In the email to the gentleman in Colorado, I told him I wish we had such a treasure trove of old slides from our wedding. Dear Hubby and I had a very simple ceremony in the home of one of my brothers. What few photos we have are mostly Polaroids. Sadly, they haven't withstood the test of time very well. But as they slowly fade away and become less distinct, it doesn't lessen the memories. I look at those images and I am transported back in time to that day when my parents were still alive and younger than I am now. Of the estranged brother whose home I got married in, whom I've had no contact with for almost 18 years. Of the young couple so in love, the girl with long dark hair that's now silvery white, the man with hair almost to his shoulders
in the white jean suit.


Oh my.




5 comments:

Betty said...

Sounds like wonderful memories. I´m sure those couples you contacted with old pics will be so grateful! I´m planing a project with old pics from my family, for my parents golden wedding. I´m sure old memories will be flooding back...

Pat said...

Oh, what a wonderful treasure you have found! I love looking at old family photos---it brings back such fond memories. I hope you will be able to preserve them for future generations.

Melissa B. said...

I just got a flashback to that Barbra Streisand flick, "The Way We Were." Different time, same sentiment, no?

Jeanie said...

What a treasure trove of memories you have in those pictures. It is so nice of you to get them to those in the pictures.

Anita said...

First let me say, what a wonderful thing to contact those people and share the slides with them. My parents have hundreds of slides and at one time my dad was on a mission to transfer them to digital, but his age and Parkinson's have taken away that ability, one day one of us kids will do it I'm sure, dad is fairly protective of them and won't let anyone touch them.

I too wish you had more photos of your wedding, but memories are a great thing. You might contact a photo expert or an artist about trying to re-create or restore them to a better visibility, they can do wonders.

We just celebrated 20 years, I am so different now, in many good ways, and a few not so good(weight)..lol!