Thursday, June 10, 2010

In search of my mother's garden, I found my own. ~ Alice Walker



On my 'old' blog....and, I think, even on this one for a while....I had this picture of our front porch as my header photo. It looks a lot like this still, tho a little more worn by wear. The clematis on the trellis has taken over that side of the porch, which faces east. It completely blocks off the view of our neighbors Sharon and Alex and their porch. It is where I've spent countless hours, drifting slowly back and forth on the glider while I read. I haven't spent much time there in the past few years but I clean it up each spring with hopes that I'll find an hour here or there to sit and muse and drink my sun-up cup of coffee while summer mornings dawn. There isn't a more peaceful, tranquil way to greet the morning than to watch the robins hop-hopping across the dewy grass, looking for that first worm of the day. Or listening to the song of the house sparrows as they prepare for their day. Or the mournful cry of the early-morning trains.


Oh Lord, my God, when I in awesome wonder consider all the worlds Thy hands have made! I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder, Thy power throughout the universe displayed!


Yes...


Lately the Lord has been crossing my path with some pretty amazing people. Sunday evening was a perfect example. I had to attend a work-related franchise open house at the business where my husband is supervisor and I had the dreads like you couldn't believe. I didn't want to go. At all. But duty called and away I went. Things like that are so far out of my comfort zone, especially now. I spend 11 to 12 hours per day asking, "Do you need your diaper changed? Are you poopy?" or answering endless "Why?" questions -- do 4-year-olds have any other word in their vocabulary? The thought of carrying on adult conversation with a huge crowd of people almost put me in panic mode. Most of them were strangers...I barely know his co-workers or their spouses. It wasn't too bad once I realized most of the people there pretty much felt the same way I did, watching their body language. I relaxed a bit. I was standing near Dear Hubby as he talked to a couple of visitors when a woman approached me. She introduced herself and we began chatting. And 3 1/2 hours later we were still immersed in deep conversation. We both felt and commented on how it seemed like it was meant to be, our meeting in this world. Dear Hubby teased me as we drove away and said, "I think you just met your new best friend". In a nice way. I said, "I feel like I have".


I don't feel like I have a fragile sense of self worth. I don't need to be constantly reassured or have my ego stroked on a regular basis. But in these past few years where it's almost like I've sequestered myself off into a little world that my two grandsons and I inhabit during the day, where my contact with adults outside of my family is limited to the bits of conversation I carry on here and there with store clerks, librarians, and people at church on Sunday, it takes a lot of effort for me to break the surface and function on a social level. I never required much interaction with people anyway, but at least I felt I could hold my own whenever I had to. So this encounter I had with this lovely woman I met on Sunday helped to re-establish something in me that's been dormant for a long time. The ability to reach out and touch someone mentally on a personal level. I have missed that. I realized that evening I've missed it a lot.


I got an email this evening and part of the message said this:


"Always good to hear from you, MissKris, and although I think you are perhaps a glutton for punishment (you do SO much all the time...), I enjoy getting to know you. One of these days I'm going to take a drive to Portland - I love to go for drives, and think you'd be the type of friendly soul who'd offer a stranger a cup of coffee!"


And do you know, if this lovely person writes and says she's headed my way, I'm meeting her somewhere along the road for coffee. Every now and then I like to drive, too. I'll meet her halfway.

3 comments:

Anita said...

I love this, I wish I had a porch to read on, well I have a screened in patio, but not comfy place to sit, and well now it's too hot even at dawn!!!
You are so kind, wish we weren't at opposite ends of the US.

Donna B said...

KILLER PORCH! I LOVE IT!! Liked the poem or prayer...did you write it? I could relate to your serendipitous meeting with your "new best friend" and really like your adventurous spirit to meet the unknown friend half way on the road. GREAT POST!

Blissed-Out Grandma said...

The porch is lovely; I wish we had a spot like that. As for friends, I really hear you. It's great to experience a conversation like that, and I hope you get a chance to have lunch or coffee with this person again. I read long ago that the people who live longest and happiest lives are those who continue to make new friends. As mine scatter, I'm really aware of a need to do that!