Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can't see where it keeps its brain. ~ J.K. Rowling



This time around it lasted about 36 hours. Dead internet. I don't know if it's because we live in such an old neighborhood where utility line upon utility line upon utility line criss-cross our sky and are in constant need of repair and/or updating but it doesn't take much to disrupt our DSL internet service. Lots of soggy rain and wind? Adios. Extremely hot weather? Ditto. We've learned to live with it but, oh! Technology can be so frustrating! I haven't been in the mood to write the past couple of days anyway so it really didn't bother me too much that I was 'disconnected' but poor Dylan couldn't play his games and must've asked me a dozen times or more yesterday, "Is the 'puter fixed yet, Gram?" He'll be delighted to find it up and running this morning when he arrives a little later.


I have to do one of my volunteer stints at Dylan's preschool today. I'll be going by myself because both boys have got bad colds. Their mom who is recuperating from surgery and almost ready to go back to work will come stay with them for the 3 hours I'll be gone. The preschool is very stringent about being there when it's your turn to volunteer...you have to find your own back-up if you happen to be sick yourself or can't come because of some other reason. And it has to be someone who's passed their security background check. So...that leaves no one but me in our family. Because I'm the only stay-at-home Grandma who volunteers there I'm kind of like a fish out of water and haven't befriended any of the young moms. I leave all the social clique-i-ness to the younger girls...been there, done that already in the past and have no desire to 'make friends'. Be friendly, yes. Well...I'll take that back. There is one young mom who's very nice but very shy who seems to kind of hang back on the fringe and once the boys are feeling better I'm going to invite her and her two young boys over for a morning play date on one of the preschool's 'off' days. Now, she is worth getting to know. She reminds me of me, on the outside looking in. Funny how age and perspective changes all that as we get older, isn't it? But back then when my two children were little I couldn't push myself into center stage, either. It makes me more empathetic for those I observe now, tho...the quiet ones on the sidelines. I know how they feel.


I have 23 episodes of "House Hunters" saved on the DVR. I think I'll go watch a few.


5 comments:

Betty said...

Glad your internet is back. It really can be frustrating.
Our satellite company just started airing the show House Hunters and I like it too. Sometime I think I should have gone into real estate.... :)

Pam said...

Hope the boys are feeling better and that you enjoyed your time at Dylan's school. I think it's a great idea for you to reach out to that mom and her son. It could be the start of a wonderful friendship for the adults as well as the children.

Rob-bear said...

Sorry to hear about your sick boys and your sick computer server.

And I hope you do get to make a new friend, for her sake, your sake, and the boys sakes.

Anita said...

I'll bet you'll have a lot to offer (wisdom) to those young moms once everyone cozys up a little. :)

Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site missykrissy2005.blogspot.com
Is this possible?