Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Once you choose hope, anything's possible. ~ Christopher Reeve

I think the whole world is rejoicing. I cried like a baby when I saw the first Chilean miner make it to the surface. As I write this, 8 have made it. Lord willing, the rest will make it safely up as well. As someone who suffers horribly from claustrophobia, I can't even begin to imagine the mental trauma these men have suffered, let alone the physical and emotional toll its taken. I am praying the rest of the efforts go smooth as clockwork.

My blog friend Mel wrote an entry today about aging. She's 45. I'm 56. At 45 I still felt like a kid. At 56, I'm beginning to realize what real aging is about. More aches and pains. Less energy and stamina. But reading her post brought to mind an encounter I had not too long ago that brought aging in to perspective for me. I had gone out in to the narthex of my church and a lovely lady I've known for years but hadn't spoken to in ages approached me. She told me "I just LOVE your silver hair! It's absolutely beautiful. And I love it when you younger women let it go natural like that". I started to laugh and I said, "But, Dorothy, I'm not young! I'll be pushing 60 in a few years." She smiled and patted me on the arm. "Honey, when you get to be as old as I am, you ARE young!"

SHE is pushing 90.

It's all in perspective, isn't it?

4 comments:

Betty said...

I´ve been watching the rescue in Chile all afternoon and each time another guy comes out it brings tears to my eyes! It´s truly a miracle!

Steadfast Ahoy! said...

Hallelujah! What an answer to prayer these rescued me are. The whole world is rejoicing. I am 61 this birthday and still do the double-take when I see the grey hair in the mirror. WHo is that woman? Where did she come from and why is she smiling at me?

:) Rosemary

Midlife Jobhunter said...

I bet you are beautiful in your silver hair.

I have found fascination in the redundancy of the bringing of these lovely men from a life underground. They deserve great things in their life now. Each time that capsule came through the wall into the cave and then popping up on the surface, the men gathered to make sure the miner was okay and could smile, the greeatings with the family.

The last rescuer - a true hero.

Melodee said...

So true . . . it is all perspective!