Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Prudent ~ wise or judicious in practical affairs; sagacious; discreet or circumspect; sober.


How many of us are wise?  How many of us are foolish?  Where does wisdom come from?  Why do some people seem so blessed with it but the vast majority of us seemed to have taken a potty break from the line as it was being handed out?  We missed our chance.  Is wisdom something innate, handed down thru generations of DNA, or is it something learned thru the School of Hard Knocks?  A combination of the two, maybe?

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed.  I've found that being blessed with a high IQ...right up there with President Obama...does not necessarily mean wisdom is part of the package.  Some people can be so 'book smart' they leave us scratching our heads in wonder.  Yet some of the wisest people I've met in my lifetime never did well in school.  The answers they have to whatever Life throws at them, how they deal with problems,  is just there. 

When God offered Solomon anything he desired, Solomon chose wisdom.  And his answer so pleased God that He bestowed Solomon with great wealth and riches besides.  Every time I come to that part of the Bible as I'm reading thru, I always pause and ponder on that.  What would my request have been?  Would I have chosen wisdom?  I know I love to learn and my mind has always been a vessel I'm constantly trying to fill.  But wisdom?  I would like to think I would have been smart enough to say wisdom...but I'll never know.  Like a very wise friend of ours once said when it comes to understanding Scripture..."Just believe it, and turn the page."

4 comments:

LC said...

I, too, Have people in my life who have wisdom beyond book smarts and others who have both. They are all treasures.

Got a chuckle from your friend's admonition about understanding Scripture.

Anita said...

You have a "more-than-adequate" dose of wisdom, Kris. I've read your blog long enough to know. :)

Good stuff to have. I'm glad I have a bit, too - at least that's what I've been told. LOL

You're right about people lacking wisdom. I've met a few. It's a good thing they have other things going for them.

I like the line about scripture, too. I must tell my husband who is an avid bible reader.

Simone said...

I'm learning that I'm so very far from experiencing what true wisdom really is. All I can do is try my best to learn and also recall what I've learned.

Steadfast Ahoy! said...

Today's world says the media will tell you all you need to know. The ancient Greeks said to begin by knowing ourselves. The Bible says the Fear of God is the beginning of wisdom. Today changes every day. The ancient Greeks have long gone. Only the Bible is constant.
Rosemary