Saturday, July 21, 2012

Ride the energy of your own unique spirit. ~ Gabrielle Roth

I call my kitchen the perfect "Lazy Cook's Kitchen".  As we're looking at it here the built-in microwave, the oven, the cooktop, and the refrigerator are to the left.  The sink and dishwasher are on the right.  I do not use my dishwasher, even tho it's in perfectly fine working condition.  I love to hand-wash dishes, especially when I have a pretty view out the window over the sink.  I find it very soothing, and when my kids were little I told them it was my prayer time and they would leave me in peace.

Once upon a time I loved to cook.  I loved to bake.  I had cookbooks and little files of recipes galore.  Then, in 1999, I became very ill with a digestive/esophagus problem that robbed me of the sense of taste.  I will leave out the gross details as to why my tastebuds were permanently 'disabled'.

In the early years I could still remember what food tasted like, but as the years have gone by those memories have faded away.  I can still smell food as it's cooking but that's as far as it goes.  In the process, I've lost my love for cooking and baking and I've become hopelessly lazy, only doing what needs to be done in the kitchen.  Thankfully, now that we've got an empty nest, Dear Hubby is satisfied with...and even requests...that we keep it simple.  We eat a lot of fish and salads.  The only desserts we have, unless someone takes pity on us and gives us something they've baked, are from store bakeries.  No homemade cookies at Grandma's house.

I have this major pet peeve, I guess you'd call it, when I watch "House Hunter" episodes.  Why does everyone want a huge kitchen?  The sink is here, the stove is way over there.  I find islands to be more of an obstruction.  I haven't seen one yet where it isn't in the way of getting from Point A to Point B, especially at my mother-in-law's house.  Hers is huge. Everyone is entitled to their likes and dislikes, but honestly, people, my little galley kitchen is perfect.  I can turn around from the sink and my stove top is right there, as is my oven, microwave, and refrigerator.  I am amazed at how little counter space I need.  I have room enough for the coffeemaker and the toaster on one side of the sink and the banana-hanger and jug of pens, pencils, and scissors on the other.  Room enough to put together a meal.   What more do I need?  I am a neat-and-tidy food preparer, tho.  Many years ago I read an article about McDonald's cleaning policy that they went by back then; maybe they still do:  CAYG.  It's an acronym for "Clean As You Go".  And I do.  I have plenty of cabinet space and a nice-sized pantry around the corner in the dining area.

I know, I know...there will be those of you insulted by my opinion, and that's ok.  I'm not trying to offend anyone or say that I wouldn't admire your big, beautiful kitchen if I were to see it. I would, I'm sure.  But I guess I just like it cozy.  And that's what my little kitchen is.

4 comments:

Debbie V. said...

THANK YOU SO MUCH - I am always asking myself the same questions about House Hunters. I have a galley kitchen. I love it. I even have (oh horrors) counters that are NOT granite, and I'm fine. But they're smooth and they clean easily.
Right now I'm going through all the baking and cooking things my mom owned and it's hard to believe I don't do much cooking these days either. I am still working at the moment - so I think partly it's the lack of time.
My husband was unemployed for almost 2 years and he took up cooking and did a great job. He tried a lot of new recipes that required quite a bit of prep time and new ingredients. (We watch the Food Network/Cooking Channel too).
But in the end, now that he's back working part-time, we enjoy the simpler homier type foods. Boiled potatoes, onion and carrots seem like something special sometimes :)

Steadfast Ahoy! said...

At home, I have the ultimate "dream kitchen". I seem to hardly be there anymore to enjoy it, but I love the idea of it. On our "dream boat", the kitchen is a small U-shaped galley where I can stand in one place and pivot to reach everything. So many steps saved. Everything I need is within reach. Space limitations mean we only have what is essential onboard. There is a peace and contentment with simplicity. Right?
Rosemary

Pat said...

Nothing beats being content. I'm so happy that you feel comfortable and complete, it's something many seek and never find.
The size of my working space in my kitchen if fine. The house was built in the 50's so that's a clue that it's not big. What it lacks is a pantry. Oh how I wish I had a pantry! It is the storage space I would like more of. I don't have granite counter tops, though I wouldn't turn them down. Some things like granite just aren't a priority though. Contentment is.
Great post!

Anita said...

I'm sorry you have a problem with your tastebuds, though you and your husband don't seem to let it worry you. It's amazing how we cope and alter our lives to remain at peace.

As for the kitchen, most would probably consider mine large - my mother does. Funny though, the isle between the island and the refrigerator is the most occupied, so the big kitchen doesn't help us at all as we all push each other out of the way to get in the fridge. lol

My mother has a galley kitchen and handles it like a champ. It gets cleaned quickly and like you said, everything is in reach, so she cooks fast. It's a bit of a problem when company comes and wants to "help" her in the kitchen. We always joke that no more than two in at a time! :)

She likes all my counter space; the space that I hardly know what to do with because I don't like to cook. But, as with many homes, people will congregate in it, so there is room to do so.

Btw, I don't find anything offensive about your post. You've expressed feelings about a place where you can pray and peacefully wash dishes and enjoy the outdoors via the window. I call that blessed.

Ps. For some reason, I don't mind washing dishes in the sink either. :)