Sunday, December 9, 2012

Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat. ~ F. Scott Fitzgerald

Every now and then someone will mention a person who passed away a few years ago. People still talk about what a wonderful person she was, how much they miss her.

Am I missing something here? Are they talking about the same person I knew?

You see, she is one of those people who seemed to take an instant dislike to me, from the minute we met.  For the life of me, I can't think of a thing I said or did to make her react to me that way, but she did.  Her animosity towards me lasted until she died.  I thought maybe I was imagining it, but my Dear Hubby picked up on it, too, so at least I knew I wasn't crazy.  Try as I might, I couldn't change the way she felt about me.  I didn't lose any sleep over it, but it always puzzled me. Because of the way she treated me I have to admit she wasn't one of my favorite people on earth.  Tho a lot of people were devastated at her passing I can't say I spent any time grieving. That bothered me, because I'm usually a person who generally gets along well with just about anybody.

They say pheromones are what attract us to people, especially those of the opposite sex.  Do you think pheromones also have something to do with the attraction between friends as well?  I mean, I don't go around sniffing at people to see if I want to befriend them or not, but what else would cause someone to take an instant dislike to another person?  I can't imagine why she would have been jealous of me or felt competetive with me or anything else. 

I dunno.

I'm up way too late, but this was puzzling me once again, as I saw something written about her once more. 

I wish I could say I loved her, that I miss her too.

But, in all honesty, I don't.



2 comments:

CWMartin said...

There was a big disconnect when my dad died between those who new him at his best (like my nephew, who idolized him) and those of us that got to know the worst of him. It took years to pull together the two thought processes into the same man and memory.

Anita said...

I have a few relatives who have passed on and honestly, I don't miss them at all, either. I don't share this feeling with those who do miss them, of course. It can be awkward when the reminiscing is going on because I don't have much to contribute. lol
Somewhere along the line, I've learned to accept that some things will remain a mystery, that those puzzles will never be solved.