Friday, February 1, 2013

Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted. Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world. ~ Hans Margolius

I pass this barn quite often.  It looks like it's out in the middle of nowhere but it's actually at a busy intersection in the city where I live.  There's a Farmers Market held here.  There's a huge pumpkin patch at Halloween time.  I'm glad they never tore it or the old farmhouse down...every time I look at it I get a glimpse of the past, and it's good to be reminded of our roots, isn't it?  At one time it probably sat in the middle of acres of farmland, and not all that long ago, really, since the city I live in is a post-war suburb established in 1950.  Progress!

I am not purposely neglecting writing here.  There has been a lot happening in the past couple of months.  I did a long road trip with Dear Hubby.  There were the holidays.  On my birthday at the end of December my family gave me a surprise birthday party...and they pulled it off grandly because I was totally surprised!  Some good friends of ours from Kitchener, Ontario, even made it here for the party and that made me feel very special, considering she's quite pregnant and it's a 3 1/2 hour drive with two little ones in the back seat of the car!  My family gave me a brand new exercise bike for my birthday, and I've been putting it to good use every morning, pedaling away for 45 minutes to an hour.  It feels wonderful to have one again!  My last one fell apart not long after we moved here and I've just been too busy to replace it.

We had a bit of a health scare right after the first of the year.  Dear Hubby was in the hospital for a few days after having a spell of confusion and blurred vision.  This is the second time it's happened.  The first time was at the end of September, just before we left for vacation to the Upper Peninsula here in Michigan.  He underwent an MRI, an EEG, a stress test, carotid ultrasounds, EKGs...all kinds of labs and bloodwork.  Everything checked out fine and they still haven't quite diagnosed what the problem is.  He's wearing a heart monitor for a month to see if anything shows up, like an irregularity in his heartbeat that might restrict the flow of blood to his brain.  They tell him he's in excellent physical condition so they're rather mystified.  He's going a little crazy not being able to drive but it's actually working out fine.  The kids come by and pick him up on the way to work in the morning and then I bring him home in the afternoon.  He's an awful back seat driver, tho.  I told him the other day if he doesn't like the routes I take on the way home he can always get out and walk.  That shut him up, but mercy, he's bossy!

This seems to be a transitional phase of life for me right now.  I no longer have my grandsons to care for full time.  I'm not working.  I have a lot of peace and solitude.  I feel like my arms are empty for the first time in as far back as I can remember...it seems like I've always had someone to take care of, starting with my younger brother when he was just a little guy.  But my life is full.  It's kind of nice to actually have some time to get reacquainted with myself.  I've missed me.



2 comments:

LC said...

Make sure the docs check your husband's electrolytes. My mom spiraled into confusion and falling. Turns out her sodium level was dangerously low. Am praying.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.