Friday, August 28, 2009

Blue Sky, sunshine, what a day to take a walk in the park....

Some days I wonder just how well-recognized my grandsons and I are around our part of Portland. As I maneuvered my big double-stroller in thru the doors of the library -- with the much-appreciated help of a Good Samaritan (usually I'm stuck doing it all by myself) -- a not-so-familiar librarian spoke up and said, "It looks like someone's out for a power walk today!" I smiled as I passed by her and replied, "Every day!" Her eyebrows shot up -- she was probably a few years older than me -- and said, "Every day?!" And another librarian who's worked there forever said, "Yes, every day. They're in here all the time."

I got to thinking about our walks. I got to thinking how so many women my age aren't healthy enough or physically capable of doing what I do on an almost-daily basis -- we do take time off when the weather is crummy -- and I took a moment to thank the Lord for strong bones and for restoring my health after last year's debacle. For the opportunity to give this gift to my grandsons, because it is a gift...getting out into the fresh air and sunshine every day, learning about the world around them. So what if by the end of the day my joints are a little achy? I hit the pillow at the end of the day and it's a rare thing for me to suffer from insomnia...I'm out like a light.

I always half-joke and say I dunno if caring for them will kill me off early or keep me young forever. I think I'll vote for keeping me young.




4 comments:

Betty W said...

Are those your boys in the pic? They are adorable!! Especially the youngest cheeks, yummy enough to eat! :) My youngest was chubby like that.
Yes, I agree you are giving them a gift they will cherish forever, to be outside in the fresh air and getting to know their neighborhood!

Liz Hinds said...

Keep you young definitely!

verabear said...

You and the boys are really so blessed to be able to do this regularly! :) I'm sure they will grow up with a love for the outdoors, and of books to with all the visits to the library. Hehe :)

Anonymous said...

I think grandparents are so important - sadly we are lacking in that department. You and your grandsons are very lucky :0)