Thursday, July 5, 2012

Weather forecast for tonight: dark. ~ George Carlin

The tornado warning sirens went off at 5 am this morning and no, this is not what it looked like as I peeked out of the curtains on my way down into the basement.  Whewwwwww!  Thank the good Lord for THAT!  I made sure I got a hold of all my kids to let them know they needed to be aware because my daughter can't hear the sirens at her apartment complex and I wasn't too sure how loud they are where my son's family lives, either.  When my daughter-in-law answered the phone she said she'd thought that was what she was hearing in the distance so she was glad I'd called to let them know that indeed the sirens were howling.  We're fortunate because our neighborhood siren is only a couple blocks away and we can hear it loud and clear.

So, how did I do on my first real siren?

I grabbed my pillow off my bed and took it down in the basement with me.

Why my pillow, you ask?

So I'd have something comfortable to sit on in the little cranny underneath the basement stairs.  It has a cement floor, you see.

4 comments:

CWMartin said...

I used to have that as my desktop wallpaper!

Unknown said...

Yikes! Where I live, there is not much to fear in the weather department except heat and humidity. I'm so glad you have early warnings and take precautions.
Rosemary

Midlife Roadtripper said...

Sounds smart to me. Pillows have many uses. I'm so glad you have a basement. Much safer than the land of no basements where I live now. Knowing if it hits your house, you'll just go with it.

We had front lines winds come through Ypsilanti when we lived there. Scary.

Anita said...

I don't think I would have thought of a pillow. I'm picturing you sitting on it. :)

I never thought we'd have to run to our basement until we had the earthquake recently. Next time, I'll be sure to grab a pillow for the stairwell to our basement that is our "safe place." :)